cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sue3

I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

Hi,

I am brand new to this site. I am 48 years old and have been smoking since I was twelve. I have 2 relatively young daughters (9 and 12) that I would like to be around a long time for. My own mother died 6 years ago from emphazema and lung cancer. I remember feeling so sad that cigarettes were the cause and knew even then that I needed to quit or I will follow the same path. I have been trying to quit since 2001. I have tried hypnosis, laser, the patch (which probably is the easiest way but burns my skin), Chantix (makes me sick), Zyban, inhalers and gum. I used to be a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker but am down to between 12-18 cigs (mainly due to whatever stop smoking aid I am on). I have read "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", by Allen Carr many times. My husband smokes a little over a pack and really has no desire to quit. I smoked my last cigarette in my pack a few minutes ago so right now I don't have a pack of cigarettes on me but I know he has a carton in his car. We only smoke in the garage and outside. I hate that I smoke. I hate that I tell my kids to wait a minute so I can go and have a smoke. I hate that they hate it and are embarassed by it. I hate the way my coat smells. I hate the cost of smoking both monetarily and what I know it is doing to my health. And yet, I continue to smoke. I lay down every night and pray that I will stop smoking but it is the very first thing I do in the morning. Ugh!!!!! I know millions of people have been successful in quiting and I want to be one of them. I did quit once for 2-3 months back in 2001. I was so sure I would never smoke again and then I did and now I do. Whatever advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Just typing this has helped. Thanks!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
edith2

Do you realize that you're a hostage of your addiction and that it controls every aspect of your life? It's an addiction that tells us we don't have one, yet we go to any lengths to stay active in it. There is no "magic cure." So what I suggest you do is try the lozenges. Pray for the "desire" to quit. Think of yourself as your own child and someone you love with all your heart. Be willing to go to any lengths to help your "child" quit. Not only is smoking addictive, it kills our self-esteem. It's a slow form of suicide. I have realized that if I can be as good to myself as I try to be to my loved ones, then I can accomplish my goal. I deserve it. You deserve it. Stop selling yourself short. When you quit, procrastinate. Put off lighting up. Set up rewards for yourself. I bought myself a cell phone when I quit. Another gal in here bought herself a new wallet. There's a guy in here that's saved up $2,000.00 from the money he would have spent on smoking and he's getting a great stereo system. I believe that you're ready. You can do this. Let us believe in you until you believe in yourself.
0 Kudos
anna21

NEVER GIVE UP!!! You know what got me was watching what happenes to your lungs.... My Dad died at 55 due to smoking and overweight. My brother 33 due to alcahol... We have the ability to move on when someone we love passes. But try to get that strength to stop smoking.... It's not easy at all. Just put pictures of loved ones around and talk to them and tell them how much they missed becaused of smoking then look into a mirror and know you don't want this happening to your family all the grief you went threw loosing someone you love that might still be there giving you a hug or a smile. DON"T do this to your family.. Anyone who smokes knows it hurst them too...... Get mean and don't cover it up with excuses. Take the blinders off and get mad at me I don't care if it helps go for it.. I have big shoulders to cry on.. Come on lets see you do it. Remember one min. at a time don't let it overwhelm you... Mins. run into hours then days look what you can do right now...
0 Kudos
kathy-dunyon

Hi Sue, hang in there girl! The first week is the hardest but you can do it! I believe in you! I'm at 28 days and counting, it does get easier but you need to keep your guard up. You'll feel alot better believe me! Once you quit you'll begin to notice smells more, good ones and bad ones. Make your husband get a smoking jacket and keep it and his habit out of the house, that should help if he won't quit with you. I'm sending good vibes, prayers for strenght and hugs your way!
0 Kudos
rj_

Sue, we addicts have to help each other, we all have failed at some point, and all still desire to quit or maintain a quit.
The best advise I can give you is education + determination = success.
I got the best education at www.whyquit.com,
the determination comes from within, and must be for yourself, not others,
success must be measured daily,
forever is not possible, but if I dont take this puff now I have succeeded,
If I succeed for a day then the next and next eventually peace will come,
One of the hardest things to get by is the fear that withdrawl goes on forever, it does not, it ends, peace and freedom is just a few days away as soon as you quit feeding the addictive chemical that keeps you addicted and believing you cannot make it without it. Trust me, trust us all, quit, peace will come and success is yours.

Best to Ya, RJ...Free at Last 463 days after 32+yrs of feeding the addiction, adding 64 days of life and choosing not to inhale 18,536 death sticks one day at a time.
0 Kudos
claudia2

I have already replied to this once, but felt I had to again. I have Grandchildren the age of your children and I would love to be around for their graduations and hopefully weddings.

I quit smoking yesterday. It has only been 16 hours and 36 minutes, but.......I did not wake up this morning with the urge to smoke.

Before, if I had to go to the bathroom at 1am, my friend the cancer stick went with me. Never could have put my feet on the ground without it.

I am taking Chantix and I was hypnotized...which worked in 1979 for 18 months which has been my longest quit.

It is really hard when you live with a smoker, thank God I don't, but have one in for the holidays. With your children being so young, I hope for their sake that both you and your husband smoke outside and not around them. It is true what they say about second hand smoke.

I wish you all the luck in the world..I know how hard it is to give those cancer stick up. Keep strong and stay on this web site where people can help.

God Bless and Happy New Year!
0 Kudos
susan52

Hi, Sue. I am a fellow Sue and 48 years old and have smoked for over 30 years like you have. I am on Day 2, and really thought I would not make it as far as today (I have NEVER quit for more than about a week, so your 2-3 months before is a good sign that you have the determination within you). Even though there have been some rough moments the past 30+ hours, I am determined to remain a non-smoker. If you have a quit date and need support, feel free to reach out to me.
0 Kudos
sue3

Thank you Sue. I love this site. I posted that blog over 2 weeks ago and continue to get encouraging and motivating responses from people like you and I really appreciate it. I still have not made a quit date but hope to in the next few days. I just am having an issue with just doing it! But I will. Good luck to you, I wish you success in this, I really do. One thing I do know is that I waste a lot time worrying and thinking about quitting and if I could just put that energy into actually quitting ... I would really love to just put this behind me and put the energy elsewhere. Good Luck to you Sue. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
melro1973

Sue, the biggest reason you haven't been able to quit yet is that you don't believe you can quit. Have some faith in yourself! Look back at the times in your life you've gone through some ordeal you didn't think you could and the times you've worked to earn something. I guarantee you're a stronger woman than you think. You are stronger than a cigarette. You're already on the right path. You're realizing the reasons it's stupid to keep smoking. You can do this! Know it! Know that you can conquer this cold-hearted, money-grubbing, hateful, selfish, ugly, smelly bitch!
0 Kudos

Sue - I can feel your struggle with nicotine addiction.

There is an old expression, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. If I may be so bold, it seems that what you have been doing has not worked, including reading the book by Allen Carr on several occasions. I have not read his book, but I am familiar with the premise, and don't agree with the main idea he promotes.

I would recommend the website whyquit.com. It was the best source of information for me. I used a 'scientific' approach for the year 2008 - my designated quit year.

I started out by changing all my smoking habits, one at a time. No more smoking in the car. No more smoking while talking on the phone. No more smoking in my bedroom. No more smoking after eating.

I also switched brands of cigarettes. Not sure if American Spirit cigarettes are available where you are located, but they do not have the 4000+ chemicals that the major commercial brands do. I believe they are available online as well, so try a google search. When I switched from Marlboro lights to American Spirit, I went through a mini withdrawal because I no longer was ingesting the chemicals. Then after I was accustomed to the American Spirits, I started slowly cutting out those cigarettes that were unnecessary, until I was down to less than a pack a day.

I watched the movie, 'The Insider'. That movie made me so angry - angry at the CEO's and angry at myself for allowing myself to become addicted and ruled by tobacco laced with nicotine and other chemicals as prescribed by the CEO's of the tobacco companies.

I struggled with the addiction constantly, berated myself, hated myself for continuing to smoke. I took the anger and used it to help me quit.

I watched a program a few weeks ago about people who had suffered brain injuries, and when recovering, could no longer work at what they used to do. For instance, a surgeon struck by lightening, no longer had any interest or desire to be a surgeon, but now had music constantly playing in his head, and took the next step to become a concert pianist.
This show reminded me that we use very little of our brain - and so much power within ourselves and our brains goes untapped - we truly can do anything if we set our minds to it.

I also meditated and asked for help from my parents (both deceased) especially my Dad who passed from lung cancer. I also reflected on all the years past that I have struggled with some pretty heavy duty problems in my life, and had to use the inner strength I am blessed with to get me through.

I decided that I would count on that inner strength, the knowledge that the drug would be out of my system in 72 hours, and that from that point on it would be all social and/or emotional. I did the homework...and I am now a non smoker - today is day 6. After 40 years!!!!! I thank myself for this gift, along with this website, and whyquit.com, and all the other forces at work. If you really want to quit, you can do it. YES YOU CAN!!!!