cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cindy25

Triggers

I noticed that there are many comments about people having difficulty using the web site and I noticed that there many folks using the support aspect of this site AFTER they quit. The site's advice on ideas for separating from Triggers seems to be a bit "lackluster" in places (like making an origami hamster from your dinner napkin for the "after dinner trigger"). We can do better than that!!!! Lets give each other some new and fresh ideas and help each other problem solve our personal triggers BEFORE our quit dates! Isn't that the purpose?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
david42

I find that one of those little "Dum Dum" lollipops works well. It doesn't do much to break that hand to mouth cycle but, it is not a cigarette.
0 Kudos
cindy25

Yeah! The car is one of my BIG TRIGGERS! I am working on that one right now. I am going to only smoke when I reach my destination (no matter how far) and only have one. I am going to try the dum dums, sing loudly in the car and try the cinnamon sticks someone else suggested. I really need to break the "association" of car = smoking. I have been using my car as a "mobile ashtray" because it has been the only place I can "safely" smoke.
0 Kudos
david42

I had not heard the "mobile ashtray" reference before, but that is so true. It cost me $200 to get my car detailed and I am not going to spend that again lol. I tried cleaning it myself and there was so much nicotine on the windows that I gave up and had it professionally done. It is now nice and clean and I could even use the ashtray to hold my dum-dums lol.
0 Kudos
cindy25

So David, did you quit altogether?
0 Kudos
david42

No, I have just separated frome smoking in the car. According to the program I am not ready to set a quit date because I have a "Major life event" in the near future. I understand that this can certainly make things more difficult, but there is always going to be something, right?
0 Kudos
cindy25

Well, there may not always be major life events every few weeks :). Tell me, when you separated with the car trigger, did you just smoke when you arrived at your destination or did you do something else? The car is my BIGGEST!!!!!
0 Kudos
david42

There are in my life LOL. Yes I was the guy standing next to the car with the cigarette getting the last few drags before getting in and as soon as the engine was off jumping out and lighting one up. The thing that turned it for me was when I realized how bad it actually smelled in there. My nose is working much better now and I was shocked that I had never noticed.
0 Kudos
cindy25

Wow. I really need to get my car cleaned. Is your major life event something that will trigger you for smoking more than usual? Like stressful? You are in a tough spot about that since you don't want to "lose steam" for quitting by prolonging it, but you don't want to set yourself up for additional hardship either!
0 Kudos
david42

Yes. I am going through a custody dispute for my son. Mediation is this Wed. Court hearing is set for 6/30/08. Stress is not a huge trigger for me but I can see myself in front of the court house chainsmoking before going in LOL.
0 Kudos