cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cartel

THAT VOICE.........in my head

I know i can beat this. Within the last 2 months i have smoked like 4times. I always reach that point when i think it's ok now. I am starting to except and realize that i do have an addiction. I get that voice that says just one more time. Mannn......that voice.....OK i got it....you can't beat drug addiction by doing more drugs. Ok now I must do it. I am back to day one again & I am fighting for my life. I have the nic gum...but i really want to do this cold turkey. HERE I GO AGAIN. thanks for "listening".
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
linda53

cartel you can do this just chew chew chew and type type type peace and love
0 Kudos
libby

Get the Allen Carr book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking". It helps go cold turkey.
0 Kudos
alan-t

If the gum helps stay with it. I've tried the gum, the patch, cold turkey, etc. The thing that I am finding out now to be my greatest motivator is living. I not too long ago ended up in the hospital (ICU) in respiratory distress. I have emphysema, but I continued to smoke anyhow. This trip to the hospital scared the you-know-what out of me!

I haven't smoked a cigarette in 30 days. Presently I am using the patch, however, if a person isn't ready to stop they are not going to stop regardless of the neccessity to do so. Nicotine is a drug! And just like any other addictive drug, a lot of people need to quit, but you have to really want to quit.

Finally, I read this advise from someone on this site: When you have an urge to smoke, don't fight the urge, ride along with the urge. That's what I do now, ride along with it, because guess what?, it's true, the urge will pass away.

Hang in there. We are here for you.

Alan
0 Kudos
teresa15

That voice in your head is the nicotine monster wanting to be fed! Whatever you do, don't give in because feeding him will just keep him alive. He is trying to trick you,get you to smoke once you have even just one puff, he'll have you wanting more and more!. Simple don't feed the monster and he will die! Think of it as a game. I'm sure this sounds strange to you if you did not read Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". But this mindset worked for me! He also said to think of the nicotine monster as if he was a tape worm in your stomach, each day you do not smoke you cut off a section of that worm, soon there will be nothing left. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
gridley513

Teresa, I like that idea of starving the monster! Thanks!
0 Kudos
edith2

If you can come up with a good enough excuse to smoke, I'll give up my time and light up with you.
0 Kudos
andrew3

Cartel you really can do this. The reason I know is because every time you mess up you do not give up. In the movies they would just say you just don't know when to stay down and give up. In the end of the movie that person is the one who gets the girl, the money, the life. You are the unlikely hero, but the unlikely hero is always successful, and stronger after every set back. You can do this, and like you said you have smoked four times in one month, and my guess is you made it three weeks, then two, then one, then two days. You are right its nicotine just reeling you back in. You can't allow it to, and just stay positive. You can do this and I know you will. When you have those little cravings of "one more time" talk to someone. whether its a blog or discussion on here. An e-mail to a member, or a long lost friend. A text to a family member or a close friend or loved one. If you have kids text them. You will do this!
0 Kudos
braundi

The Allen Carr book has helped me VERY much. I quit cold turkey over a week ago after reading it. You can do this! Just keep trying. 🙂
0 Kudos
leeann

i'm using gum and patches, however i've been off the patches for two days and i'm ok only one piece of gum in that time. You can do it, but don't be afraid to get help if you need it.
0 Kudos