cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sarah38

HELP!

Hoping for some support here. I'm not a mother but was drawn to this group because my husband and I are desperate to start our family. We have been trying to concieve on our own now for the past three years. I even quit my job 6 months ago because I thought that the stress load was contributing to our not concieving. Anyway, we finally decided to seek professional help and have a doctors appointment this Monday. I know the first thing he'll say is that I need to quit and I'm ready. Just looking for support. Oh did I mention I'm a control freak and have anxiety attacks. Yep! I'm a mess. Any words of wisdom to help me start the processs?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
rjb

I couldn't quit until I found out I was pregnant. I tried to concieve for like a year with no luck and the depression from that made me want to smoke. Especially since my entire family and all my friends are chain smokers (including my husband). I have to tell you though that it is soooooo much easier if you can quit before hand. Not for your health but even if you desperately want a baby, the changes your body goes through and the level of selflessness you have to go through is a major shock to your system after you get pregnant. This is my first baby and I'm 5 months now. It's finally getting easier. But I quit cold turkey when I found out and it was absolutely painful and horrible. It was soo hard that I couldn't even be excited about being pregnant until I was done detoxing. It took my body and emotional state about 4 months to feel semi normal. I'm still not completely there. When you are pregnant, you can't make one decision during your day without thinking about how it will affect your baby. If you are like me in the sense that you need a comfort zone somewhere, hot bath, cold beer, cigarette etc..to cope..then you're in for a big shock. Basically, it feels like I've lost my identity as a pregnant mom. Eventually, that becomes okay but it is just incredibly difficult to adjust to. Especially if you are around other smokers. In my oersonal case, the only advice I got on quitting that helped came from my grandma. She told me that when she quit, she locked herself in her bedroom like she had a really bad case of the stomach flu. She left only to go to the kitchen and get food. I had to work but after work, I did just that. I went straight home, got into bed and didn't leave. I did that for four months including weekends until I felt strong enough to venture out into the world without cigarettes. My husband hated that!!! My family did too! I didn't care though because I had to quit for the baby and I stopped caring about anyone's opinion but my own. My family are major party people who feel that when pregnancy occurs you have to keep your social events up to date and just sit there amongst drinkers and smokers and just deal with it. Normally, I'm a people pleaser and would put myself in those situations even if it killed me. I couldn't do it though and finally just weathered the fights and protests and did what I had to do to keep myself and my baby healthy. I stopped caring who was mad at me for not attending social events. It would have been a lot easier if my family had been supportive but instead I had to fight my family as well as my addiction.

Point: It would have been soooo much easier to just quit before getting pregnant. You shouldn't have to deal with any of that extra junk because pregnancy throws enough stuff at you to deal with that you weren't prepared for. Try the flu technique..stay in bed like you are sick until your cravings are gone. Sounds severe but its the only way I could quit.
0 Kudos
mommy-mary

Well don't worry about the conceiving part (unless it's a medical problem) when you settle down and relax it will come. 25 years ago they told me at Duke hospital that would never have any children. I turned 45 years old and 18 days later I found out that I was pregnant with my first child.
The only thing that had happened in my life was that I was making an obscene amount of money in the real estate market. The stress had gone away and I had just bought my dream home....which by the way I am now loosing because of the real estate market...go figure! Anyway, I'm struggling myself with the quiting thing. I know it's hard. I made 20 copies of a piece of paper that says "smoking is NOT an option" and taped them all over the house...my cabinets, the bathroom everywhere!
Oh and don't worry about the anxiety and control freak thing....after you have a kid you'll realize...that they are in control...NOT YOU! So you might as well face it! 🐵 Hang in there! Mary
0 Kudos
kristi-hood

hay im going throw the same i quit when i got prg with my little one, and know im quiting again for good we have been trying to have a baby for a year know, i only have one ovary i had my left removed due to a cycts but the dr tells me that it might just take a bit longer and i know smokeing is not helping did you know that smoking can make it to where you can not get prg by 40% when i sal that i was mad. i never new that im takeing wellbutrun sr and it well help im the same way as you i have to have control everything lol so i would try that....
0 Kudos