cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

kathryn3

Has this happened to anyone else?

Okay, so on Monday Morning I took my first Chantix. It made me so ill, I can't even remember the last time I felt that horrible. Literally, about 40 minutes after taking the pill (and yes, I was smoking but You're Supposed To in the first week!) I started throwing up, which continued relentlessly for about 6 hours. Needless to say, I won't be taking Chantix anymore, which is quite dissappointing. I thought I had found something that would finally work for me. Has this happened to anyone else? I assume I am allergic, but maybe not?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
murel

Nausea is one of the most common side affects of Chantix. Did you eat a good meal before you took it? I don't know how bad the nausea can get, but yours sounded bad, would ask your Dr about it. I am starting Chantix tomorrow for the second time, I didn't have any nausea but I have a very strong stomach. Don't give up even if you can't take the chantix try something else. Good luck to you
Murel
0 Kudos
havilah

Ok. I had this same reaction. Horrible nausea, vomiting, weight loss. I am here to tell you that Chantix does work however you have to find how it works for you. I had to eat a full meal before I took it and drink something carbonated to help me burp. Believe it or not, when I burped, the stomach ache went away. Some days were better than others. My problems only last a few weeks until my body adjusted to the pill. I won't deny that it was a rough few weeks but if you can put up with it and maybe find a few tricks that make it easier for you (ie the soda for me) it will be the best thing in the end. I have tried so many things, so many times to quit and only Chantix has made it actually possible for me. I have been on it for 2 months, currently only take a pill a day, and have been smoke free for a month.
I understand that Chantix screws with everyone differently and it is a VERY harsh drug, however, it's AMAZING in it's ability to do what it promises. Its not easy but it works.
If you have any questions please let me know. 🙂
0 Kudos
susie3

Hi, I am new to this site and was trying to address this problem also. For myself, I had to wait awhile after eating and be sure to drink lots of water when I took the Chantix for it not to make me feel bloated and queasy.
0 Kudos
jeannie5

I've been on Chantix for 4 weeks now, and I get nauseated (SP?) if I don't eat first. I take the pill right after my last bite and haven't gotten sick since I started doing it.
0 Kudos
liz19

I too have had similar issues, though not as intense. I MUST eat before taking the pill, and I drink a decent sized glass of water with it, and I down it all at one time, no sipping! This has helped, but I still get sick and queasy a little. Nothing I can't deal with so far.
0 Kudos
amye78

Same thing here, I will feel icky and then I will take some tums or drink and soda seems to usually make it better. Also, I am with everyone else. It has to be a real meal. When I tried to take it after eating something small like a muffin or a pop tart I would still get sick.
0 Kudos
rob17

I didn't have the problem, but I know of several people who, when they could not take Chantix, called the Pfizer and received a full refund.
0 Kudos
irene

I have been taking Chantix for a long time. Nausea was horrible for me. I asked my doctor for anti-nausea medication and it really helped when I needed it. But now it is rare that I get nauseated. Keep taking the Chantix. It may take a long time but your nausea will end. Your body will eventually adjust. It's a miracle drug. It stops the cravings. Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain. What that means is that when you smoke you don't get the nicotine fix like you did before. AND -- this is the best part -- it stops the cravings. Somehow it keeps you from wanting OR NEEDING another cigarette. You'll say, "eh...nah, i don't want one". The desire goes away and soon you won't be craving one or dreaming of smoking. I don't know how it works but it does. It'll get to the point that when you convince yourself to have one you be thinking why, since you don't get a nicotine buzz anymore, and you'll just smell up your clothes. Just so you'd know, I tried all of the nicotine patches, nicotine gum, prescription inhaler, prescription drugs, hypnosis, cold turkey, you name it. Chantix is the only one that worked for me. It will work for you too.
0 Kudos
lizzo

This is my 4th week on Chantix. Chantix makes me barf and feel nauseous for an hour or so when I take it.. I only actually barf if I do not eat a lot of food in the morning with it....(not so much at night) It is horrible.. but if you try eating a meal and taking it with lots of water, it may not make you vomit. The nausea got better with time. It affects smooth muscle apparently.. (esophogus, stomach, intestines) If you can keep it down, you might have some gastrointestinal effects as well..I did at first, but it got better.. I have weird dreams, and sleep like the dead. At first I could not sleep at all, then I began to sleep so deeply I heard NOTHING at night.. kinda scary, really.
Good luck with what you decide to do!
0 Kudos