cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gridley513

holy crap... 125 cigarettes?!

I am on day 12. I put my ticker as smoking 10 cigarettes a day. Some days were less, but sometimes I smoked more than that. Anyways... I have saved myself from smoking 125 cigarettes as of right now and I can NOT EVEN FATHOM what the pile of butts would look like that I have smoked since I was nearly 19 years old.

HOLY CRAP. They add up so quickly, and I am feeling rather disgusted with myself right now!!! Are there any sites or posts that you guys know of that show how many cigarettes you smoke all put together? Like a dumpster full if you smoke half a pack a day.. something like that?? I am going to look around and will post if I find something.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
tracy18

I'm a day behind you, lady. Found a cigarette calculator http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/PED_10_cigCostCalc.asp . Just tells me I smoked WAAAAYYY TOO MUCH (8035 packs). You're doin great!!
0 Kudos
andrew2

Something like this from http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/cigbutthowmany.htm

Not much volume at all!!. i worked out that over 17 odd yrs of smoking approx 10 a day, i smoke approx 60000 which equates to (according to this table) 30 litres of butts (about half a gas tank in your car)

WEIGHT AND VOLUME OF CIGARETTE BUTTS

The 360 billion cigarettes smoked in the United States in 2007 translates to a total of 135,000,000 pounds of discarded butts in one year in the United States alone. The filters from 5.6 trillion cigarettes (approximate world production) would weigh more than 2.1 billion pounds (see table below). This figure does not include the weight of the tobacco still attached to the filter, or the packaging, matches, disposable lighters, and other "collateral" waste that is generated by smoking.

The filters on one pack of 20 cigarettes weigh 0.12 ounces (with no tobacco attached) and displaces a volume of 10 mL. With annual worldwide production of cigarettes at 5.6 trillion, the potential weight and volume of cigarette butts becomes enormous (Table below).

number of filters ounces/pounds milliliters/liters
20 (one pack) .12 oz 10 ml
10,000 (one year's consumption for one smoker) 3.75 lbs 5 liters
1,000,000 375 lbs 500 liters
100,000,000 37,500 lbs 50,000 liters
10,000,000,000 3,750,000 lbs 5,000,000 liters
360,000,000,000 (Est. smoked in the US in 2007) 135,000,000 lbs 180,000,000 liters
1,000,000,000,000 375,000,000 lbs 500,000,000 liters
0 Kudos
DOCmarkC

Very cool facts... I'm going to copy it for my blog space (I hope that is OK)
Mine says I have not smoked 9378... But that is in a year.
0 Kudos
gridley513

That calculator was good... not the one you posted but the one linked from that page. I have smoked since I was 19, but I can subtract at least 2 years for pregnancies and some time after they were born, and the amount I smoked varied quite a bit from 2 cigs a day to over a pack a day if I went out partying (which I did often for a few years in college and a few years afterwards). So, I was able to just estimate an average taking all that into consideration and came up with at least 1734 packs in my life. YUCK!!!

editing: Oh my, and I just saw your total from your post!!! Not trying to make you feel worse Tracy lol!!!
0 Kudos
tracy18

Oh, no worries! Nobody can make me feel worse than me! It was very eye opening to see just how crappy I treated my body for SO LOONG! To tell you the truth, I didn't even take into consideration the years of partying ( lots of years and extra cigs, too :o!) so I probably smoked like 9,000 packs or something like that... hell...lol
0 Kudos
nancy_o

HOLY CRAP is right. I just went to the ACS calculator and estimated I have smoked about 10,957 packs/219150 cigs (this is only an estimate -and probably under estimated- as it varied day to day and if I was partying, well we know how that could go) in the years I used to smoke (today I am 9 days smoke free). That makes me so sick just thinking about that. I just wished I could get back all that money I've spent on them - talk about stimulate the economy! (or I could almost pay off my house)

Have a GREAT SMOKE-FREE DAY. 🙂
0 Kudos
teresa15

# Cigarette butt litter is the world’s greatest environmental litter problem
# Globally approximately 5.2 trillion cigarettes are manufactured every year. In developed countries (or in markets where indoor smoking bans have been introduced) almost 1 in 3 cigarette butts end up as litter.
# In most Western countries, cigarette butt litter accounts for around 50% of all litter.
# Cigarette butt litter dramatically increases where indoor smoking bans are implemented.
# In Australia, NSW smokers throw away enough butts to fill 7 Olympic swimming pools. Up to 350,000 butts end up in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria and waterways every day.
# It can take up to 12 years for a cigarette butt to break down.
# Cigarette butts can leach chemicals such as cadmium, lead and arsenic into our marine environment within an hour of contact with water.
# Cigarette butts have been found in the stomachs of fish, whales, birds and other marine animals which leads to ingestion of hazardous chemicals and digestive blockages.
# Smokers in many countries can be fined for flicking a lit cigarette.And the final and most important thing to know about cigarette butt litter is: Only smokers can stop cigarette butt litter. We need to educate them that butts are litter, and provide a positive alternative to littering
0 Kudos
laura39

Eeew I just did the calculator and I have smoked (estimated) 2008 packs of cigarettes. Over 40,000 cigarettes. That is disgusting.
0 Kudos