cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jamie14

April 2009 Better Life

Hey all---This is the 2nd time I have used this site. I really didn't try very hard the first time--a year ago--but this time am determined. My actual date is 4/2/09--I will be out of cigs by then. Cost has become a big factor--not just the cost of buying the cigs, but also the cost of health insurance if you are a smoker. My COBRA insurance runs out in June and I have to find new coverage as an individual. If I am a smoker, the cost sky rockets. I work an on-call job that I love, but no health insurance is available. I am an advocate for sexual assault victims--very stressful but rewarding--and do not want to give this up to find another job with insurance.

If anyone would like to write back, that would be great. The more support the better!!!! Jamie
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jamie14

Hey Michele--I think you were replying to me, but my name is Jamie, not April. This is a great site and seems to provide more support than I get anywhere else. It helps to know I'm not alone in my struggles. I'll be glad to be your support too. Jamie
0 Kudos
jamie14

Hey Juliette--I am so sorry to read about your health. If we would have only known when we were so young and dumb and started smoking, maybe we wouldn't ever have started. Well..............since we were young and dumb, we might have started anyway. lol I will be happy to support you in any way I can. Jamie
0 Kudos
valeria

Jamie, to be able to keep a job during our current economic situation is fortunate. To have a job you love is a blessing. I also have a job that I love, but I hear from so many people who have nothing good to say about their jobs. There was a time I had a job that I dreaded going to everyday. I eventually accepted a position with my current emoployer at a substantial decrease in pay. The feedback my customers give to me and my superiors, let me know that I have made the right decision.
As a multiple sexual assault victim who has never had an advocate, I hope that you continue to do the work that is obviously rewarding to you and beneficial to the victims. There is no better person for the victim than a person who loves what she does. Please continue your fight to quit smoking so that you will be able to continue fighting for those who can't/won't fight for themselves.
0 Kudos
jamie14

Valeria--Thank you for your kind words. I also have had jobs that I hated, so it truly is a blessing to love what I'm doing now. The pay is almost negligible, but the rewards are priceless. I started out as a volunteer and was offered the on-call position. I'm usually on call 10-12 days a month (12 hour shifts) and sometimes spend 5-8 hours at the hospital with victims. It seems that the economy affects all aspects of life--our numbers of victims have increased as the economy has worsened. I never had an advocate when I could have used one either and I am so sorry you have had to face the same thing. Today is my last day as a smoker and I pray I make it this time. Please keep me in your thoughts. Jamie
0 Kudos
valeria

I will be thinking of you as I begin my quit date April 4th. Hang in there, I'll be joining you soon!
0 Kudos