cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rachel17

TIME

Has anyone thought about how much time we will save by not smoking? As a busy mom this occurred to me. If I used to smoke 10 or 11 cigs a day on average times what 5 or so min per cig, more if you had to track them down, look for the lighter and find an excuse to slip away. I'm gonna guess 7 to 10 min. per cig that's more than an hour a day. I can't even tell you how many times I wished I had a few more minutes let alone a whole hour. Moms out there let me know how much time your saving and how your gonna use it. Maybe I'll get a massage or read a book that doesn't rhyme. KEEP THEQUIT!!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
catherine3

For me it's been huge - I smoked for the better part of 1-2 hours every morning before the kids got up, then 15 minutes at a time throughout the day, and then 1-2 hours at night. My husband (non-smoker except addicted to cigars lately) would say "see you in an hour" when I went outside and I always thought "no way" but the truth is I was usually outside at least an hour.

Now I'm actually more involved in our family at night (instead of husband taking over after dinner) - I cook every night, I clean my kitchen immediately after dinner, I read more to my boys, I knit, I read, I spend time with my husband.
0 Kudos
tasha3

OH NO DOUBT!!!!

0 Kudos
angie12

I haven't even thought of that. Another reason why I should quit! It will definitely be nice to not have to hurry up go outside and try to smoke a cig in the cold and then run back in.
0 Kudos
christine2

OMG.. soooo true!! I'm just ending day 3 with no cigs and already I see how HUGE it is.. both at home and works. It's actually nice to not have to find an excuse to stop what I'm doing and go outside (both at home and work) and then waste more time out there smoking. I've decided that after the first week or two, once I'm done eating everything that isn't nailed down, I will use that "found" time to start jogging again. Something I loved to do when I was quit but totally couldn't while I was smoking for obvious reasons. Can't wait!
0 Kudos
jennifer26

Sounds just like my situation here. I was up to a half a pack a day. The dishwasher could have been loaded, the laundry could have been started, or a couple of bills could have been paid. The little things that I let go undone really tend to pile up, especially when the unexpected pops into my day.

Needless to say, I've been a productive maniac lately 😉
0 Kudos
cindy16

I seem to have more time. Do not rush through things to smoke. My little guy really wanted me quit. I'm quitting for him and me. Day 13 today and feeling great. Have a good day everyone
Cindy
0 Kudos
kristen13

I'm on day 6 of my quit, and I am finding that I have a LOT more time on my hands without my cigs. I cleaned a junk drawer last week, changed the water in our hot tub, and spent much more time with my kids than I ever have. It's toughest for me when I do something where I would normally smoke at the same time--dishes, put on makeup, drive, or talk on the phone. Keeping busy is key. Use your quit as a reason to knock out those little projects you need to do.

I estimate I am saving about 1.5-2 hours a day by not smoking. I miss it, but have to admit that I also feel better. It seems to be getting harder for me to say no, which is why I'm here. I am having trouble seeing myself as a long-term nonsmoker.

Good luck to all of you!

Kristen
0 Kudos
cindy16

Kristen you are doing great. Day 15 for me. I find I have alot more time too. Have a good day, Cindy
0 Kudos
kristen13

Great job on Day 15, Cindy! Keep it up, and thanks for the encouragement. The craves are getting less intense for me. They're still there, but I am managing better. Let's all hang in there together!
0 Kudos