cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Brittney4

Mother in need of some help!

I really want to quit smoking! I have been smoking since I was 12 yrs old and am now 26. My daughter just turned 3 years old and I know I have to quit before she gets to the age where she understands what it does to you. I've read other discussions in here talking about how your children ask you to quit. I couldn't imagine how you all feel! I can't stand it when she looks at me when I'm smoking.

I guess I'm asking for help because I am very new to this website... actually just signed up today. I really like the idea of Triggers and working through them. My question to you is how do you know what date to set as your quit date? Should I wait a month, a week, 2 weeks? I am so busy with my job, I travel all the time so it's really never a 'good' time to quit, I'll just have to DO IT!

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone has for me! Thanks...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
tara2

I have a six year old baby girl and we are at that stage. I try my best to not smoke around her (not in the car, sneak outside when she is in the shower, etc.). She does catch me, though, and is always on me about how bad it is because they learn about it in school. She has actually (sincerely) said "I don't want you to die". You would think that would make the cravings easier to overcome, but I haven't found that to be true. Now, I am getting married next week and promised my fiance I would be quit by that date (we have been together 11 years and he has dealt with my smoking the whole time). I tried yesterday as my quit date, then caved and snuck a few. Am trying none today and am having a really tough time. I don't have any profound advice for you, just want you to know you are not alone!
0 Kudos
Brittney4

I really understand how you feel. I have been in a relationship for about a year and a half and my boyfriend does not smoke. He is always on me to quit and I have promised him since the day we began dating that I would quit. Sometimes I really think I'm quitting for him and my daughter more than myself... which I fear is going to make it harder to deal with! Thanks for sharing and I really hope you make it through today!!!
0 Kudos
Brittney4

Thanks for your side of things. It's really nice to know I'm not alone out there! The thought of quitting seems so easy sometimes but usually I'm thinking about quitting while I'm smoking. It really doesn't seem to work very well. I think I'm going to set my date for July 2nd. I am traveling to Florida that day and will be in an airplane for 8 hours unable to smoke. Then I will be at Busch Gardens for a couple of days with my boyfriend so I think that will be the easiest time for me because I'll be distracted!
0 Kudos
tara2

I feel the same way. I will be honest that I am getting to the point where I do not enjoy it as much, am really starting to hate the smell, and get aggrevated when I am seperating myself from a group to go smoke. In reality, though, would I be quitting right now if it weren't for our wedding being right around the corner or worrying about my daughter saying anything? Probably not just yet. It is even more frustrating to realize the control this stupid addiction has over you. I don't know how I will, but feel like if I can just get through the next three days I will be okay. Just how to get to that point is what I don't know!
0 Kudos
Brittney4

I'm with ya. I have been putting it off for so long. It is terrible when we (my family and I) are out with people and I'm the only smoker that just HAS to go outside to smoke every hour. I seem to get dirty looks when I come back inside smelling like smoke. Maybe I'm just self concious or something but it really is terrible that smoking to me has been worth all of that. On a side note, if it helps... I read on here that smells help out a ton! Like putting Vicks under your nose or smelling certain things that you never liked to smoke with. For me it would be toothpaste. I hated smoking after I brush my teeth. Also heard that when you want to smoke, go for a quick walk or do a couple of pushups. It seems when your heart rate goes up a little, the desire to smoke goes away.
0 Kudos