cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pattyveesaert

Weight gain

Any way you look at it, you’re going to gain weight when you quit smoking...I am glad I quit but I get more tired running and have gained 15 lbs.  my daughter in law also quit June 22nd, and she is super skinny at 27 years old, and even she gained 15 lbs.  I run 2 or 3 miles every day ... and I’m not eating any more than normally?  So why the weight gain?  I’m 5’ 4” and at 149 from 130 lbs...it’s so so uncomfortable @# actually I’ve almost gained 20 lbs in 100 days!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RoseH

I gained about 7 pounds when I quit (two years ago)...  Try to get some snacks that are low calorie like carrot or celery sticks...  Chex Mix is pretty low in calories...  Our metabolisms do slow down, but its’ bettern than killing ourselves slowly with butts!

marciem

Hi pattyveesaert‌  ... WELCOME!!  And congratulations on 100 days smoke free.... that is a real accomplishment!!

I completely understand your distress at the weight gain.  You're trying so hard to do good for your body and it is rebelling by getting F  A  T  on you  .  Your body IS going through many transitions and your metabolism is one of them.

I know 15 pounds may feel like a lot right now, but it is small potatoes (watch an episode of "My 600 pound life" for a reality check) .  

My recommendation is to continue on as you've been doing, keep exercising, and don't worry about the weight.  It WILL come off over time once your body is accustomed to the new normal that is YOU.  If it doesn't fly off, you can turn your attention to it.  I say this because you are still in a very vulnerable stage of your quit (sometimes called no-mans-land, where many quits are lost), and I'd hate for you to lose your focus on the most important job you have right now, which is to KEEP YOUR QUIT no matter what.  If that means pampering yourself with high-calorie treats sometimes, so be it.    Don't overwhelm yourself with too many goals all at once,  nor too much "denial".

Best to you, and let us know how things are going!

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s pattyveesaert 

I am so happy you found our site...weight gain is a part of the journey...but you can take it off later when you are feeling more comfortable in your quit...actually, I am not even 2 years quit and I am down 11 pounds since I quit smoking...which is more than I gained from quitting.  I gained about 5 pounds...the important part is not smoking in the early days.  At this point, if you are uncomfortable, start choosing healthier snacks...and/or check with your Doctor to make sure your thyroid is working ok...that has been an issue for some when they quit smoking...etc., 

~ Colleen 654 DOF 

marciem

Good one, sweetplt‌, about having the thyroid check.  We have seen members who found thyroid problems either arise or become unmasked upon quitting, and this can be a game-changer, weight wise.

Congrats on 100 days! I haven't even weighed myself. I know I've gained weight, but I'll worry about it later. I try to be active when I can, and will tackle weight loss as my next thing to do after I feel more solid in my quit. 

zaxa11

Hello.  Thanks for your question.  I have a silly theory about why we gain weight.  But here it is....

When we were smoking we were enhaling many many times a day.  When you enhale, you are using your abdominal muscles.  I don't know about you but I was enhaling a lot.  Your muscles contract like your exercising and off the weight goes.  When your muscles aren't contracting many many times a day, the weight stays on.

Just a little theory I had.  May not make any sense but it's what my little brain came up with.

It will come off. 

Zaxa

marciem

I for one think your theory makes perfect sense.  It takes a lot of calories to breathe, and smoking increases the use of some of the breathing muscles.  It is a known fact that the metabolism also slows a bit after quitting, we're not burning as many calories... and that breathing may well be part of it   .  I don't think you're silly at all ... and absolutely, it WILL come off if you give it time and patience.

0 Kudos