cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Og1

Panic attacks

Panic attacks
How do you handle the panic attacks? I have started back on my Zoloft hopefully that will help. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I only experienced two episodes of attacks, and both were after traumatic events.  I was blindsided by two cars who ran into each other and careened into me, going about 50 mph.  I was stopped at a stop sign, looking the other way and BAM, my car was totalled.  Afterward, I would go into an attack whenever I approached the rental to drive  Didn't know what a panic attack WAS, so I  ATTEMPTED to get myself out of it by taking slow, deep breaths, etc..It made the drive like something out of a video game, with everything coming at me at warp speed and oh, the colors and their brightness.  It was TERRIFYING.   I finally figured out that it was the THINKING about driving that was triggering them...so, I started just literally stopping in the middle of making salads, or on my way upstairs to change into my PJ's, grab my keys, get into the car and just DRIVE.  In the first days, I only went around the block.  Eventually I ventured a little further, then a little further, Eventually I went onto the highway, but I started each trip the same way.  I forestalled the adrenaline release by not giving it a chance.

I hope this might help you; I know it did me.

Ralph1955

Panic attacks are a way of life for me weekly.  I try to fight through them; sometimes I do other times I can't. Since quitting smoking I can't go to that crutch any longer but, I've learned to live with them. It's life I guess.

SuzyQ411

Panic attcks can be so unsettling @Og1. I experienced agoraphobia for about two years in the late 1960's and am familiar with this very unsettling condition, You said you "started back on (my) Zoloft", so I am assuming you have a medical professional involved in your situation. As Nancy YoungAtHeart indicated, deep breathing can be very helpful with anxiety (see below). But, if your symptoms continue, I would suggest you consult with your doctor for help in treating and monitoring your anxiety. 

deep breathing circle.gif

HOPE THIS BREATHING EXERCISE IS HELPFUL FOR YOU~

sweetplt

Hi Og1 I used to experience panic attacks and I realized when I quit smoking, I never took care of working on not having them...I learned meditation and breathing exercises SuzyQ411 she gave you a good start in the post above me....quitting smoking as actually helped my attacks because now I am learning to deal with them in a healthier way.  Google working through panic attacks...In the end quitting smoking will actually help you with them...Colleen 628 DOF  

Barbara145

My emotions were all over the place when I quit smoking.  The good news is that they are not an issue anymore.  It takes time.  Give it time.  Quitting smoking is a journey.  Take care of yourself, one day at a time.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.  It is the most loving thing we do for ourselves in our lifetime.

Barbscloud

I've had two in my life and there certainly not fun.  We're you experiencing them before you quit or did they develop after quitting.

Barb

Og1

I think I have probably always had panic attacks. And I think I am just now recognizing that fact. And I use smoking to call me down. Not something I wanna do now. I I think I have probably always had panic attacks. And I think I am just now recognizing that fact. And I use smoking to call me down. Not something I wanna do now.

Barbscloud

Some folks experience that feeling when they first quit smoking.  From what I've read, quitting can trigger a panic attack if you were already experiencing prior to quitting.  Work with your doctor.  

The second time I had one, I recognized it and was able to "talk myself down".     I know deep breathing and trying to refocus my thoughts helped.   Hopefully the Zoloft will give you some relief.  

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Keep in mind that the time to forestall an attack is BEFORE the adrenaline is released.  Once it is in your system, you need to find a quiet place and wait for it to subside.  There is not a THING you can mentally do to hurry it along, or compensate for its effects.  I thought I could get myself out of one with breathing and meditation - but finally realized that the attack is PHYSICAL and nothing you do mentally will have an effect on it.  If you can figure out how to get around/eliminate  the emotions/events that bring one on, THAT is the way to go!

Give it some thought and make a plan how to do it ahead of time.  Best of luck in doing just that.