cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SuzyQ411

INCREASED CRAVINGS

Well, guys, I have been having increased emotional cravings these past 2-3 days. I believe it's tied into the disruptive and dangerous factions which are starting fires and doing some serious looting. While I support the peaceful demonstrators calling attention to the unnecessary death of George Floyd, I just simply cannot abide the dangerous wing that is destroying our cities. I also fear the strong possibilty that the National Guard and active military will be called in to "control" the situation and perhaps even the demonstrators. All this, plus the ongoing concerns regarding Covid 19 have plopped fear and anxity into my lap. To help care for myself during these disturbing times, I am taking a break from Facebook and also national news. And I am strengthening my self with prayer and calming musc such as this; 

OFFICIAL Somewhere over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole - YouTube 

20 Replies
SuzyQ411

I also forgot to add that I am hanging onto my small wooden cross.

RoseH

You are definitely not alone in your thoughts about the state of our Country!  However, there really is nothing we can do, excepting replace the leaders who are not taking care of business.  Prayer and self control is our options.  My husband and I are still in Quarantine in our Senior Living Community.  However, I suggest that both you and I put on our masks and get outside in the sunshine!  Take a walk each day, if possible.  And keep hanging on to that beautiful Cross and ask for help and peace.  Rosemary

SuzyQ411

Thank you RoseH‌ for your "right on" words, suggestions, and support!

sweetplt

Hi Suzy SuzyQ411 I am feeling the same and doing the same thing...no news and no facebook...so tired of hype...take care of You Suzy...prayer is good and when you can, sit outside and enjoy some of nature...smoking won’t help any of these situations, I know you know this...so for now I am lifting you up in prayer...~ I get it...Happy Thursday Colleen 549 DOF 

SuzyQ411

Thanks Colleen sweetplt‌ for your support and praayers xox

Maki

Take some deep breaths Suzy 

Breathe in relaxation snd slowly exhale the worry , concern , anxiety . Do it several times breathing in that relaxation  and then slowly exhaling all the tension . Bring yourself to a manageable comfort level  . Feel your body and mind relax as you do it . You can bring yourself to a state of peace within . 

Too much social media is not good . Sunshine and vitamin D Suzy . Fill your surrounding with things you love like maybe reading , writing , music , laughter , smiling , a hobby you enjoy , exercise . 

Gentle hugs 

Maki 

SuzyQ411

Thanks for your helpful suggestions Maki‌ and your reminders about the great benfits of deep breathing. In reading your works, I felt like you were my guide and I came to that point of peace. Will surely need to practice deep breathing over and over as I seek comfort in the midst of the storm!

YoungAtHeart

Turn off the electronic media.  If the world is, indeed, coming to an end, knowing it ahead of time won't do a thing for us!  I started waking up every night at 2 AM, was overwhelmed with anxiety, and was not able to go back to sleep.  Turned off ALL news - get the weather on the computer sites.  Problem SOLVED.  The media makes money from their advertisers for  our attention, and there is little to no  good news on the reports these days - just strife - and the mongers thrive on it.  They like nothing more than marching in the streets, and murders, and doom and gloom, and bad weather on which to report. 

I stopped  watching during the Vietnam War when they started each broadcast with the "body count." I am boycotting it again now.  Glad you are doing the same.  Maybe if ratings go down they will realize that THEIR thrill at reporting the gore is not what we want.

Take a stroll, read a book,do a crossword, just sit and admire the clouds!

Nancy

SuzyQ411

Thanks Nancy YoungAtHeart‌ for your helpful suggestions and support! I do need to get out of the house more often!

As time has passed since I first responded to this post, have recognized the common strain: I need to get out of the house more. Am now planning a picnic drive for tomorrow. Wherever the car takes me is where I will be. Probably in the woods somewhere ot by a stream...or maybe even both...