cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Angelize12

Anyone else with increased Cravings during PMS?

Do any other ladies out there seem to have a spike in cravings during their PMS time? I’m finding it really tough to not pick up a cigarette during the week before my cycle. I’m exercising regularly and also have other coping skills intact. But this is just hard. Any tips would be appreciated? And I’m on day 45 no nicotine. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on 45 days. I am well past the PMS stage. To better answer your question.  How are you quitting? NRT's cold turkey, MEDs?  Anything dealing with the female issues, my mom always directed me to B vitamins.  However I am not a doctor, if this persist you may contact your physician/gyn to get a professional answer.  Are you drinking lots of water.  Somethings are tough and I am sure this is one of them. I am glad that it may only happen once a month. This is probably the first time around so continue to research and ask questions. Hoping others will chime in.  Deep breathing and meditation should help.  Use the search engine to see other suggestions. 

0 Kudos
Angelize12

I did Chantix for 6 weeks. Nothing now. I am chewing a lot on straws! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Angelize12 I was able to get to this post in my drafts so here is the original below.

Barb

Barbscloud

@Angelize12 OK I'll try this again Mark

I quit long after the PMS days so I didn't experience this.  I googled this and found some information I had never read before between the connection of  smoking in relationship to the menstrual cycle. 

Nicotine can reduce estrogen levels.  

" Results showed that women who experience PMS had greater daytime tobacco dependence as well as withdrawal symptoms when attempting to quit, and they relied more on smoking cessation aids in the past. These findings suggest that PMS may play an even bigger role than we thought for women who are trying to quit .Jan 1, 2018" 
And smoking can make your PMS worse.
And the effects of smoking on menopause - go through menopause earlier.
As with other medical conditions, women are very different from men and most research is done on men.  
Glad you asked this.   There are probably others experiencing this.

Keep using your tools and stay close.  Congrats on 45 days

Barb

Angelize12

Ugh. Well it’s nice to hear I’m not alone and there is science behind it. But just another darn reason being a woman sometimes is so hard!! Not fair!!! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Angelize12 I agree with that!   I chewed on straws also. I could do some real damage.

I was trying to send you this also but it wasn't working.  Hope it does this time!  It's not something everyone experiences, but good to be aware of.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Best-of-EX/No-Mans-Land-Days-30-to-130-approximate/td-p/561072...

Barb

Angelize12

Thank you for taking the time to write back. It was helpful. Both of you ladies were helpful for me today. I appreciate it!

Barbscloud

@Angelize12  I quit long after the PMS days so I didn't experience this.  I googled this and found some information I had never read before between the connection of  smoking in relationship to the menstrual cycle. 

Nicotine can reduce estrogen levels.  

" Results showed that women who experience PMS had greater daytime tobacco dependence as well as withdrawal symptoms when attempting to quit, and they relied more on smoking cessation aids in the past. These findings suggest that PMS may play an even bigger role than we thought for women who are trying to quit .Jan 1, 2018" 
And smoking can make your PMS worse.
And the effects of smoking on menopause - go through menopause earlier.
As with other medical conditions, women are very different from men and most research is done on men.  
Glad you asked this.   There are probably others experiencing this.
You're also in No Mans Land if you haven't read about that.  Not everyone experiences it, but it helps to be aware of it. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Best-of-EX/No-Mans-Land-Days-30-to-130-approximate/td-p/561072

Keep using your tools and stay close.  Congrats on 45 days

Barb

0 Kudos