cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SimplySheri

Who I Am

~~I like people who make me forget that I'm shy.~~  Unknown

We are all different...even us elders.  Some are excellent advice givers.  Others are impressive with quit smoking facts.  Some are cheerleaders who comment on every blog.  Even more are here daily...doling out a mixture of comfort, wisdom, and wonderful bits of humor to help you along.

It took me awhile before I figured out just what I was good at here.  It took time before I figured out what to avoid for my own peace of mind.  I'm shy by nature.  Hate drama now that I've found my peace.  Love listening.  Love my friends here.  

While you aren't going to find your quit here, I hope you find a friend.  Support.  Information you need.  A quit buddy.  A cheerleader.  But most of all, I hope you find....you.

The you who isn't chained to "I'll be right back, I just need a quick one..."  The you who isn't looking at the clock, hoping for the meeting to end so you can smoke.  The you who steps back from the dinner table only to step right outside for that after dinner smoke.

I found my place in life.  I found my place here.  I found that I am funnier, more talented, more grateful than I was as a smoker.  It wasn't just something I did...it was who I had become.  

So thanks to those who made me forget I was shy!  Thanks to those who brought out the best in me!  Thanks to those who challenged me, called me out, and never left my side!  Thank you for reminding me of just who I truly am.  

Quitting, to me, isn't simply putting cigarettes down and walking away.  It's finding out who you truly are.  That's the hardest part....healing those hurts that you tucked away behind your addicted brain.....trying new things that you were too scared to try so you smoked away instead....finding out you are more courageous than you ever thought possible....being curious...being adventurous....being you.

I come and go here quite often.  Sometimes because I get busy at life...sometimes because someone hurt my feelings....sometimes because I don't know what else to say.  It's just who I am.

Are you finding out who you are?  I'd like to know you

5 Replies
Christine13

Yes, in this miriad called life, I am beginning to find myself.  I smoked to numb up many a pain, but now find myself singing on the days I have the energy to climb out of my bed and get dressed and get on with my daily chores, and When I have the energy, I am grateful for what I've accomplished for the day.  I love you and your blogs, don't ever see how anyone couldn't.  Sending love and hope!!

xo

SimplySheri

Christina, I am absolutely thrilled to hear you are singing!!  Even if it is only some days . It makes my heart Happy that you are feeling happy.  I've watched your quit grow strong and you heal a bit, too.  Proud of you, my friend!!  Onward and upward one step at a time!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

This community has taught me a lot about myself.  It has taught me how to be more vulnerable, more open - to reveal more of myself  and it continues to teach me how to be the best supporter I can be.  A lot of that has come through witnessing others' support methods.  Such as yours.  And some has come through those who have not particularly liked my blunt approach.  "Tone" can't always be heard in the written word.  And it is a beautiful challenge to learn how to maintain the integrity of what I have to say and the force of it, without sounding unkind and ungentle.  To speak the truth without offending.  To speak my truth without sounding like it's a judgment.  One of the reasons I so admire Joel at whyquit.  He has the ability to express the truth in such a pointed, yet loving way, with gentle humor.  Of course it does help that a lot of his material is on video, so you can see him smiling while he's saying it.

The greatest gift is the friends I've found here.  I know without a doubt that if I needed them, they would be here for me. The emotional courage I have seen here helps me to be courageous.   Who I am is still forming.  If my mold were done, I'd never molt.  There's a lot of refining yet to go through!  

Thanks for being one of the beautiful teachers here.  You nourish and uplift.

sweetplt

Happy Easter Sheri SimplySheri ... 

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

I love all the quotes you find to share here. And you're right; it does take time to figure out our place, our purpose here. Just like how journeying through NML helps us learn how to live smoke free, being an elder is time to learn how to help in our best way. Not sure I've figured that out yet, but I know where I'm not helpful  (for instance, anything medical). Thanks for being here so faithfully.

0 Kudos