cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cousin-Itt

Do You Have Pet

Dog or Cat makes no difference share a picture and a name Maybe a quick story or long. Picture this a large old bearded man walking a little 10 pound white fluffy dog with a pink bow in her hair in your neighborhood Yes mothers called their children in and locked their doors. Pets are a great way to stay relaxed and a little exercise GoGo.jpg

GOGO

195 Replies
Legend

Awwww your dog is very cute.

All of our cats have been rescued one way or another in our house.  One day my son was at work at a resort and he was emptying the trash in a trash compacter outside and when he dumped his trash in and was just about to press the button to crunch everything he heard a cry. My son listened and then knew a kitten was in the trash compacter so he started pulling out all the trash until he found the little kitten and he brought him home. The cats name is O’malley and it is a boy cat. That is the story behind him he is a lucky cat he did not get squished in the trash compacter. Here is a picture of O’Malley.

O'malley.jpg

Cousin-Itt

What a awesome story and a cute lucky kitten

abbynormal42

These are my babies. That's Brody on the left and Daisy on the right. Brody is pure yellow lab--a lab through and through, in every sense of the word.  (He's a handful, let's put it that way!) Daisy is part lab and, we think, part beagle. She is a rescue. My nephew and father-in-law found her running on a very busy street, and my brother-in-law would not let the dog stay at their house. My father-in-law, being a big ol' softie where dogs are concerned, brought her home to our house. My husband kept her out in the shop for hours until it started to get cold. He wanted me to take her in the house, and I balked at first. I told him, "You can't expect me to take a dog into this house without becoming attached! If we don't find her owners, I'm NOT taking her to a shelter!" To my surprise, he replied, "Okay, so we'll keep her!"

Now, the last thing I wanted was another dog. I had a 75-pound perpetual toddler (meaning Brody) running around already. But, I'm a softie, too. So I let her inside.

The first thing she needed was a bath. She was STINKY. I was just about to take a shower myself, so I just pulled her in there with me. (That was no easy feat, let me tell you!) The entire time I was washing her, she just leaned into me with her entire weight, as if to say, "Thank you. I love you." That was the moment I fell in love.

That first night, she slept right between my husband and me. She slept like she hadn't slept in weeks. She must've been exhausted, poor thing. I snuggled her close to me and held her all night. Brody didn't mind. He's never been much of a cuddler and prefers to sleep at the foot of the bed.

We did search for her owners. We contacted the local shelters. We checked her for a microchip. We put out pictures on all the local facebook pet watch groups. We went door-to-door in the neighborhood where she was found. We had no luck. So, after 30 days, she became legally ours. That was the longest 30 days of my life, by the way. I was growing more attached by the hour, and I was constantly afraid someone would contact me and take this precious baby from my arms. But...no one came for her. And she has been an integral part of our home ever since.

We named her Daisy. And she is the furry, four-legged love of my life.

I have also forbidden my husband (and father-in-law) from bringing home any more strays! LOL

My Babies.jpg

Cousin-Itt

abbynormal42‌ What cute eyes I can imagine  Brody being a handful since labs are so energetic plus 75 pounds .  I find that we don't pick the dog  It more like animals know who to go too as Daisy picked you.

marciem

OK, here's a long story, feel free to skip it for the picture  .  Our beautiful Vizsla, Sara, developed lymphoma.  She underwent treatments, had good days and bad days.  One day, this cat started showing up in our back yard, we had no idea whence it came, but it made Sara happy every time it was around.   Often times otherwise she was depressed and didn't even want to go for a walk.  So of course, not knowing if this kitty had a home, I'd leave food out, mostly in order to make Sara happy.  One day, about a day before I went knocking on doors to see who was missing a cat, our across-the-street neighbors came asking if we had seen a black and white kitty... and cat came walking out of the back of the house LOL!  Soooo... mystery solved.   We let them know he was a therapy cat for Sara, and they were fine as long as cat was spending time with us and they knew where he was.

Came the day a few months later, Sara let us know "It's my time"... hiding in bushes, not wanting to walk, not happy to see cat who searched her out and rubbed against her legs and sniffed her.  So we took her to the vet to help her out gently.  It was a horrible day, as you can imagine.  We also went to a pet crematory that we had heard took good care of one's beloved ones, and you got back your actual ashes, not a mix.   So the day was full of tears.

Returned home, and there was a message from my Pulmonary doctor to call... The biopsy I had had two days earlier was positive and I had lung cancer.  THUD.

So kitty became MY therapy kitty, chose to make our house his permanent residence.   They renamed him "Traitor Joe" and we call him Kitty-boi ... he doesn't answer to Sox.  He visits them and their cats across the street but lives with us now.  *can you believe they replaced him with TWO kitties?

p.s. Kitty has free access in and out, so we did not steal him   .  Just his heart  .  

Cousin-Itt

I am glad she found you marciem  I wonder how animals know when another animal is hurting or when we are hurting, What a special cat

marciem

Yes, he IS special, and he found us when we & Sara needed him, as we still do.  He is now my velcro kitty, esp. in winter.  

Giulia

Amazing story, Marcie.  Thanks for sharing it.  And may I encourage no one to skip it for the photo.

Hugs!