cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DavesTime

Prayers Please.

My wife and I just got home the night before last after flying out of state to visit our toddler granddaughter (and her parents!).  It was a wonderful visit.  But yesterday we got word that my mother-in-law in California was not doing well.  She had fallen two months ago and broken her pelvis, but was finally to the point that she could return to her apartment. She sounded good and upbeat on the phone when we talked to her last Friday night.  Yesterday afternoon we learned that she had had a major brain hemorrhage, and was not expected to live, and she died last night, peacefully and without regaining consciousness. She had a strong Christian faith, so we can look beyond her death and have comfort and hope.  Our plans are up in the air about flying out for a service.  Please keep my family in your prayers.  I'm not going to smoke and my quit isn't in danger, but I have to admit that, even after a year being smoke-free, the stress of this has triggered some cravings. NOPE.

Dave

17 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Pull out the tools you used early in your quit and use them again!  Go for a walk?  Take slow/deep breaths?  Watch a YouTube video?  Remind yourself that there is never a good REASON to smoke; there are but excuses!

My sympathy on your loss.

Nancy

DavesTime

Thanks for the suggestions, Nancy.  I honestly haven't come close to seriously considering smoking; I recognize the urges for what they are--my old patterns of reaction to stress.  Smoking would do absolutely nothing for me but reawaken within me a deadly addiction I had.  Besides, my mother-in-law (and that whole side of the family) was a non-smoker who never knew I was a smoker.  I will honor her as I choose to keep my freedom.

Thanks for your words.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Glad you recognize that, Dave.  When we recognize the truth about our addiction we are then able to conquer it.

sweetplt

You got it Dave DavesTime lifting you, your wife and the family up in prayer for your loss...May God Bless all of you during this time ~ Gotcha in my prayers Colleen 

MarilynH

I'm so sorry to hear this I'm sending you my condolences along with good thoughts and prayers for you and your family and a huge hug.....

indingrl

Thanks Dave for sharing - MY deepest sympathy for your loss - please know - prayers lifted - Stress - OH YES I can so feel YOUR stresses - we just had 2 deaths back to back and -  with mom in hospice - told all this  in less than 12 hours - 3 weeks ago - WE joined a grief share group to COPE with OUR reality - - using drug nicotine NEVER entered MY mind either - pray did - I thank God -  just sharing - I stay in God's word - and praying - MY EMPATHY -  is so felt for YOU and family -- take care of YOU Dave - NOT ONE PUFF EVER - N.O.P.E. -  gentle hug

Kboyd66

Praying for you and your family in Jesus name I pray amen GOD BLESS 

elvan

I am so sorry DavesTime‌, that is so sad but at least she went peacefully.  I will keep you and your family in my prayers.  Our addiction is always there waiting for a chance to pounce...keep going one day at a time.

Ellen

tjanddj

My prayers are with you and your family.