cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Cucumbers coming out like crazy!

Well me zucchini has not faired very well, but I have an abundance of cucumbers.  I got a recipe from a friend called Freezer pickles and it is AWESOME. The only thing I did different was cut back the sugar ALOT and added mustard seed to it.

Heres the recipe if you are interested. I doubled the recipe below. My friend brought some over that were previously frozen and they were very crunchy.! She like me cut back the sugar in it. Me husband loves them

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS

• Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
  • Stir well, cover and refrigerate for 3 days. Stir every day.
  • Pack into freezer containers and cover with brine (I use ziplock bags to have the pickles in small portions and then place the small bags in a larger freezer container). Freeze Thaw before serving
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
12 Replies
indingrl

Yum

Giulia

Cool.  Had no idea you could freeze cukes!

Mandolinrain

Me either, I figured they would tase mushy, but they don't! I once made a corn relish that was similar to this, I need to go look it up

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Sounds good.  I did get some cucumbers but nothing to brag about.  The ones the squirrels could not find before they got a chance to grow. Lots of peppers and beans though.  Freezer packed. Working on freezing tomatos.  The zucchini the same thing.  However, each year I am learning new ways to keep the animals out of the garden.  I just started my fall garden.   Not so many animals and bugs.  lol.  Maybe there will be someway to taste those pickles at EX 8 lol. 

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Well we had so much extreme heat and rain this summer my plants all suffered. The zucchini did terrible. My tomatoes di average but got blight ...the cherry tomatoes are still producing very well as are all the herbs and strawberries. Peppers did just okay and slugs got to my Kale and all my roses bushes. Celery is doing well though

I didnt plant as much as usual and I think I need to get some nitrates in the soil. Had an abundance or horse manure at last house i used. Probably need better soil.

0 Kudos
Giulia

So when you say "brine" do you just mean salty water?  And if so - how much?  Do these taste kind of like sweet and sour pickles or more like new pickles (i.e. more like cukes than pickles?) .  Personally I prefer the new pickles.  Never liked bread and butter pickles.  

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Giulia‌ so all the ingredients above combined IS the brine. After 3 days of stirring them in that ( which I use a huge big pickle jar to store them in refrigerator as I stir them each day ) when I pour them into freezer bags I pour a bit of brine over them. They fast more sweet and sour and I think mostly because I cut to much sugar out of them

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Sorry about the zucchini...but wow on the cucumbers and a healthy cucumber salad...enjoy...~ Happy Tuesday ~ Colleen 274 DOF 

Giulia

Got it.  I'll give it a go next year.  Our cukes have already come and gone here.