cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pnkdasyz

Vaping

I want to quit vaping but it’s hard when it’s not known to be bad like cigarettes. I’ve seen studies citing lung damage but other studies stating it’s unlikely to exceed 5% harm of cigarettes and another one stating no long term damage over 3.5 year period. I don’t know what to think? I know I am tired of being a slave to it but like I said it’s hard when it’s not known to be terrible. Any advice?

Labels (1)
25 Replies
Benedina

Pnkdasyz I am sitting in the same boat.  My quit date was three days ago and I am on the walk of shame because I am still vaping. I was even hesitant to log back onto this site because I failed, but the great people here, their support, their great insight and help, makes this a great place to be.  Needless to say, I feel ashamed of myself but I refuse to give up. I may just need to go to the gum or lozenges, at least to break the hand mouth habit.  

I went from smoking cigarettes to vaping quite easily. Started vaping about six years ago and never picked up nor desired a cigarette.  I was down to smoking about three quarters of a pack of cigarettes a day when I started to vape to stop cigarettes.  Now, due to the ease of access of a vape and the constant, ongoing nicotine delivery, I ingest WAY more nicotine than in a pack of regular cigarettes. This means I have exponentially increased the nicotine receptors which is the reason I believe, vaping may be more difficult for some people, to quit than regular cigarettes.

Advice ?

I have none right now other than to stay on this site and read and listen to the wise and generous people here who are both trying to quit nicotine and those who have had success. That’s what I’m going to do from now on. I ordered Allen Carr’s book and it arrives tomorrow, which I see over and over on this site.  I am so sorry for not having great tips for you other than to stay here. I just wanted to reach out and let you know you are not walking alone in this.  I think just being here, and the desire to be here is the very best way to start !!!  

JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you for sharing.  Whether you know it or not your EXperience can help someone else quit. 

Benedina

Wait WHAT ? I got a badge ?? The last badge I had was fifty five years ago for a Girl Scout sewing project that was two sizes too big. But it looked great folded on the table  Thank you Jackie, for both the support and the encouragement. 

Purrbrina

Just wanted to let you know that my experience with vaping has been very similar, I switched to a Juul to quit smoking cigarettes and did so successfully, but now my nicotine intake is much higher than it ever was before due to ease of access (like you said). My official quit date is in a few weeks, so fingers crossed! Mainly wanted to say thanks to you for posting. Hang in there!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. E- cigarette users can get more nicotine than they would from a tobacco product — extra-strength cartridges are available, or the e-cigarette’s voltage can be increased to get a greater hit of the substance. Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Considering vaping to be “safe” is far from a given - there is much research to be done. What we know is that vaping raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack. There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. Recently vaping has been in the headlines because of the possibility of it causing severe lung damage in young people. An August, 2019 study at the University of Pennsylvania showed that a single instance of vaping immediately lead to reduced vascular function: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190820101601.htm I am glad you have decided to seek our help to break free! It isn't easy – but it IS doable!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Purrbrina

Thank you for all the info and resources! Much appreciated!

mireya223

This gave me so much hope and was very helpful! Thank you. 

YoungAtHeart

Stay close and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it.  We are here to help in any way that we can.  We know it is tough, but the only way out is through!

Nancy

aduckworthcps

Thank you for the information you provided on changing up the routines where smoking/vaping is concerned.  I am working to do that and am having some difficulty in the changes.  The information you provided will be helpful to me to try and incorporate some additional changes.