cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david-hibling

Boeuf Bourguigonne

This is a classic "national" dish from Burgandy - the region of France where I live which I have dared to adapt slightly but nonetheless serve with great results to my french friends!

Serves 6

You will need 2lb chuck steak cut into 2 inch squares 3 medium onions sliced 2 gloves garlic peeled and chopped 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or half a teaspoon of dried 1 bay leaf 4 oz mushrooms 1 bottle of good red Burgandy wine heaped tablespoon of flour 3 tablespoons olive oil
dash of worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt

heat 2 tables spoons of oil in a large flameproof casserole on the stive and brown the meat on all sides then remove with a slotted spoon and put onions and garlic into the casserole and cook for a few minutes - return the meat and sprinkle with the flour - pour in the wine and stir well add the dash of sauce and herbs season with black pepper and salt cover and cook on top of the stove on a low heat for 2 hours

After 2 hours fry the bacon in the remaining oil and add to the casserole with the mushrooms cover again and cook for a further hour - this dish will not harm from extra cooking time if your guests are a little late - in fact if there is enough left over it is delecious re-heated the next day

I serve mashed potatoes with this dish to soak up the gravy and a green salad - the french would not usually serve the potatoes but accompany this with salad and tons of fresh baguettes collected that morning from the bakery

You can once you have browned the meat and added the wine alternatively cook this in the oven
gas mark 1 - 275F - 140C but I find it simpler to cook on the hob and be able to stir it now and then easily
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
claudia2

Here we go again David...I didn't know if you posted this one.
We had this one tonight. My husband lived in Paris for 3 1/2 years as a Psychiatrist for the American Embassy.
He was thrilled when I showed him this, gosh it was so great, but I just couldn't eat a lot of it. The gravy was rich, real reason is That I had a late snack. He told me that we were going to eat later then we did.

He wants to know if you have a recipe for COQ AU JIN.
If you do and could pass it along it would be great.
But I don't want to get real fat!!!!! I love french food!
0 Kudos