cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

leelu

Time

•  I stopped smoking on July 4, 2018, but it really wasn’t me, I asked God - I asked God to help me to want to quit and seek His help. I was coughing so much that I came down with bronchitis twice - I was black and blue from coughing so hard. My doctors told me to quit smoking. It was time to quit. I researched the patch and asked my husband to help me. He bought the 21mg patch. I put the patch on and contacted the quit line. They said to taper down and pick a quit date. I quit smoking on July 4, 2018. On August 20, 2018, I stop using the nicotine patch.

I walk everyday and use straws when I am stressed or I carry a lite incense stick. I visit the ex- community site often as it provides the best advice and information.

I would like to remind myself how difficult it has been to quit. I would like to remind myself about how emotional and draining it has been. The pangs, the urges, the triggers, and the stress. I would like to remind myself to never take another puff.

My mother died, she passed away on December 22, 2018 at 11:05.  Her funeral was held on December 31, 2018. Today is July 20, 2019, I miss my mother so much!!!!  It has been a little over a year, and I am still dealing with major depression, but I am so

• grateful to be smoke free.  leelu

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

And I am happy FOR you!

My sympathy on the loss of your Mom.

Nancy

indingrl

Thank you for sharing and I am so sorry about YOUR mom and hope YOU find a grief support group - just google -  to find grief support in YOUR area - they have one at a church up in MY area ans some of MY acquaintances have gone and said it really HELPS to talk with others dealing with death and missing their love ones and getting comfort n love - just sharing please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you - GOOD JOB staying a NON SMOKER - ONE day at a time - please take good cate of YOU - gentle hug❤

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on being smoke-free since July 4, 2018.  You have made it to the 6 % club. This time for a celebration!

I am sorry that your mother no longer physically with you.  I am sure you can feel her in your heart and you have good memories.  Mothers are so special. They give unconditional love.  My mom has been deceased for over 16 years.  I still miss her.  My mom was so sick and suffered  She has gone to be with God   God relieved her of her pain. Bittersweet. NEF 

sweetplt

Hi And Welcome leelu I am so sorry for the loss of your mom...please know your mom would be so proud of your quit...I know I am...Congratulations ... hang in there and keep saying (NOPE) Not One Puff Ever...~ Colleen 229 DOF 

elvan

Congratulations on being quit for over a year.  I am so sorry about the loss of your mother, that is very difficult to deal with.  Please know that we are all here to support you any time.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Big congrats on one year smoke free.   I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother.

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Congratulations on all your progress in smobering up. Sorry for you loss. It takes time to come back together--smobriety is a good place to be during loss.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Just added you to our /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=d3f89aa0-1139-4ddd-b...‌.  I remind myself that I never want another day one.  That keeps me very secure in my quit.  Glad you visit often.  I consider it part of my quit maintenance to check in here.

The fact that you miss your mom so much just shows how much and how deep the love you had for her.  When your mom dies a huge piece of you goes with her.  Because she was a part of ALL your life history from breath one.  And I've always thought we shared cells as well as souls.  It doesn't get much deeper than that.  What stunned me when I lost mine was not what I thought would be the hard part, never having her love again, but having no place to put all that love I had for her.  Where could I put it?  The way we loved each other was unique, one of kind and it can never be replicated.  THAT's what I miss.  The giving of that love, the way that giving and receiving felt.  You can't replicate that.  Well, I suppose you can with a child, if you're a mom, but I'm not, so...  And even so, your mom was the one who took care of you, and hopefully championed you.  And that can't be replicated either.  So I deeply understand that "missing."  Especially when it's still as fresh as it is for you - 6 months.  It takes longer than 6 months for the pain to ease.  And it takes longer than 6 months, for some of us, to get through the "pain" of quitting.  

But you have remained steadfast to your quit, despite your depression.  That shows much strength.  And as we have learned - smoking doesn't really relieve pain, and relapse and failure only add to it.  Keep reminding yourself of the positives, of your strength, of your achievement of your magnificent over-a-year quit.   And remember how far you've come and how the newbie joining today is looking up to you because YOU have what they want.  Remember way back when - when you wanted it?  Well you've got it.  Rejoice in that!  We do for you.