cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Piper32819

Addiction is selfish

So I’m 33 days into my quit.  During a recent ER visit this man in the bay across from me was there for complications from COPD.  I have never known anyone who had gotten sick from smoking.  I thought about this man’s wife as she sat there crying while his health care team was trying to help him breathe.  My heart was crying for her as he apologized to her for having to experience this and how sorry he was for having to “put her thru this”.  Just thoughts on how selfish addiction can be.  

23 Replies
Barbara145

You are so right.  Addiction is totally selfish.  We can see that so much more clearly after we begin to heal and grow.  Sounds like his suffering was a gift to you.  Aren't you glad you quit.

YoungAtHeart

It is that.  It steals our health and our time, not only from us, but from those who love us.  It steals $$ that could be used for other things.

Glad you are continuing on your journey to be free.

Nancy

AnnetteMM

Man, you hit it on the head! We didn't care about our health, or the stink emanating from us into the room, or the health of those around us. 
That's what addiction does to us. Yay FREEDOM!!

As addicts we are selfish by nature. To protect our quit we must be just as selfish. You can do it for none other than yourself.

M n @ Signature 002-5.JPG

DavesTime

While I was still a smoker I took a rather perverse view of my addiction: I regarded it as one area where I COULD be a little selfish--it was one of the few things I did just for me, a little time for myself, a way to relax or get away to think.  I conciously chose to ignore the consequences that were accruing for continuing my selfish indulgence.  Now that I have quit I am becoming more aware of how self-centered my addiction really was.

By the way, congratulations on your quit, Piper!

Dave

230 DOF

Piper32819

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It truly was an eye opener for me in more ways than one. Here’s to another successful day, hour, minute, second.    

sweetplt

This is so true...I just saw a commercial for quitting this morning, where a daughter is watching her mom die from smoking...and she says how smoking effects the entire family...it was so sad...Thank you for sharing ...

~ Colleen 148 DOF

Barbscloud

I have to think about this one.   There are lots of people who are selfish, egotistical, self-centered, self-absorbed, etc. that aren't addicts. I can think of one that's pretty prominent at the moment.   I was certainly a nicotine addict, but have spent much of my life taking care of others, putting others before myself, sharing, giving, etc.   Did I smoke for myself?  Of course.  Along with some other things.    Does that make me selfish because I became addicted to a chemical that at the time no one even knew was addictive.  IDK

indingrl

But for the grace of God go I......just saying.