cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Piper32819

Addiction is selfish

So I’m 33 days into my quit.  During a recent ER visit this man in the bay across from me was there for complications from COPD.  I have never known anyone who had gotten sick from smoking.  I thought about this man’s wife as she sat there crying while his health care team was trying to help him breathe.  My heart was crying for her as he apologized to her for having to experience this and how sorry he was for having to “put her thru this”.  Just thoughts on how selfish addiction can be.  

23 Replies
Gai.C

Amen

0 Kudos
elvan

I am so fearful of my family having to watch me suffer at the end of my life.  I have been quit for over five years, thank God and EX, but I will likely die from a smoking related illness.  I remember my husband saying to me years ago, when our kids were little, that it was so unlike me to be selfish but smoking was just that, selfish and stealing time from our kids to go smoke.  It didn't stop me but it certainly resonates in my brain now.

Great blog, there are people on this site who watched family members die from COPD.

Ellen

Troutnut1

19 years into my quit and 33 years into marriage. I am so sorry to have ended up with COPD as a result of my selfish addictions. Mrs. Troutnut smoked too, and we quit together. But that still doesn’t lessen the guilt, shame, and remorse that comes from having given myself the terminal disease of emphysema. I suffered with alcoholism as well but did something about that 21 years ago. My dual addictions hurt a lot of people including myself. It is likely that I will die from my addictions even though decades have since passed since I indulged them. 

Still, we need always remember that addiction is a legitimate disease recognized as such by the medical and psychiatric professions, and even the might IRS. Once addiction has set in, the user has generally lost control. My dear deceased AA sponsor was always careful to remind me that addiction and alcoholism are not sins, a character flaw, or a lack of will power. It is a sickness. He called in a physical compulsion coupled with a mental obsession. He said we are not bad people trying to be good, but rather sick people wanting to be well. While we are never “cured” of addiction, the lucky ones among us will enjoy “sustained remission”, so long as we stay away from that FIRST puff, or that FIRST drink (or both in my case).

Your friend in Montana

Troutnut1-dennis

Maki

My daughter told me as an adult how smoking affected her as a child . The smell , the worry she might not have a mom . I thought I wasn't hurting anyone but myself

AnnetteMM

I had the same experience. The generosity of our kids to forgive us is so much greater than our ability to forgive ourselves.

Cousin-Itt

I'm sorry to say due to my stupidity and selfishness I put my wife and sons thru it.  I've learned to cherish what I have a smoke free life and a family that loves each other

sweetplt

Yup...apologized to my hubs millions of time...and he always says he gets it...but so glad I am smoke free now...

Addiction is selfish but shame and guilt can block recovery. I have enough regrets about COPD for my family and for myself. It's important to quit smoking if you have COPD. We can't undo the past but we can take care of ourselves now.

maryfreecig

Smober over 6 years 4 months. I still can get COPD and I knew that when I quit. Quitting for me meant whether I get sick or not from smoking. A lot of things are selfish, but we are human and feeling sorry and angry is understandable but not much help in the long run.

jonimarie

Piper32819 Great post, great responses and A Big Great 33 Days WON for YOU