cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Barb102

No Pain No Gain

This is so true in so many situations. It’s true in our quits. They weren’t easy but we did it and look at all we gained.

Nothing worth having isn’t worth working for. This will never change in life. The circumstances or situations my change but these powerful words will not. Anything worth having is worth fighting for. That can be different things to each of us. It can also be different depending on where we are in our lives and what challenges we may be facing.  

For myself it’s health challenges, as I know unfortunately it is for many if you too. I went to pulmonary rehab for the first time yesterday. Every part of my body hurts today. I will do this 3x a week for 12 weeks. Yes I will do this. They can’t fix what COPD has done to my lungs (from my smoking) but I can strengthen my arms, legs, back etc. I can strengthen my mussels to make it easier on my lungs.  I’m grateful for the chance. Found out that another one of my Nodules has grown  I’ll be back with pulmonary doc Tuesday. I’ll also find out if I need oxygen at night now. 

Im very grateful there was a cancel and I got into the pulmonary rehab   Yes it hurts all over today, so mustn’t  have done the exercises and machines correctly.  Cause after all No Pain No Gain Right?

34 Replies
sweetplt

Bless your heart Barb ... but I would think the same, that you are working things with your lungs that need working.  Almost like waking them up...hope you get some relief...did p/t give you suggestions for the pain?

Keep us posted on your Pulmonologist appointment Tuesday...I too, have been having quite a few with mine lately...no way is smoking going to hurt another thing in my body.  Relax and Rest this evening.  ~ Colleen 109 DOF 

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

I'm sorry you are having to go through all this but so impressed with your positive attitude and healthy outlook   Take good care of you, rest when you need to, and know we are here for you!!

Hugs,

Sheri

indingrl

In HIS love I love you Barb and GOOD JOB taking care of YOU! gentle hug. 

anaussiemom

Barb You and many are in my prayers.     Good bless and Prayers of Miracles sent.

Sootie

No pain no gain is certainly true..................but I am sorry YOU are having to go through pain right now. Hope they did tell you some things you could do to lessen the pain. Your muscles will get used to it and strengthen.....but until then I hope the pain is not too severe. Rest and rejuvenate!

Barbara145

Hi Barb.  I don't know if you are walking.  Walking is a way to help heal our lungs.  A holistic doctor said, "If you have COPD you better be walking 30 minutes everyday even if you have to use oxygen to do it.  I took him at his word.  That was at least 3 years ago.  What it has done for my lungs is nothing short of miraculous.  Lungs can get better.  It just takes time.  Glad you are going to pulmonary rehab.  You will learn much.  Feel better.

Giulia

Nothing worth having isn’t worth working for.

I like that!  And you're obviously working for it.  I didn't know that strengthening your muscles would strengthen your lungs.  So I just did a little inquiry (thanks to you!) and came across this  "Abdominal muscles contract, raise abdominal pressure, and push a relaxed diaphragm against the lungs, causing air to be pushed out."  Ergo doing stomach exercises help the diaphragm do it's thing!

There's something rather wonderful, though, about the body ache we get from doing a thing that's good for us and going to help us in the long run.  Like you're doing.  I'll bet after your third visit you won't be feeling the ache as much.  And after 12 weeks you're gonna see amazing improvements.

Epsom salts is a great pain reliever.  Take a nice hot bath if you can.  It will really help.  Sending good thoughts for your Tuesday visit.

Barbscloud

Barb, I glad you began your pulmonary rehab.  No pain, no gain?  Maybe--ask PT about that!  Important to warm up. Sure this is going to help you in the long term.  Let us know about appointment with doc.

Barb

Wishing you well with this.

A good friend was doing this 5 years ago but stopped and lost the gains but I believe he is doing it again right now.

Stay the course.