cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lqsi12

so how do you ?

After reading several articles here as well as other quit sites I am concerned for others whom over use NRT or unreliable quit sources.   My thoughts are they are replacing smoking with something that is either unproven, unreliable  or just a plain sham.  So how can I respectfully and kindly inform them of what I know so it does not tear down their hope, but causes a new addition or just a waste of time and money, without being over bearing. 

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Everyone must choose their own path to freedom.  Some people simply don't believe they can quit without help.  Who are we to judge?  We supply information about the various products, and they are free to investigate on their own.  We caution about overuse.  Just as everyone is different, so is each approach to quitting.  We have folks come back to us to quit using the NRT's - so it's not uncommon - but we can help them, too

We cannot choose for anyone but ourselves. 

Glad you are investigating for the best choice for YOU!

Nancy

karenjones

I think you say, with all due respect, "Vaping Kills' . i would rather see someone on NRT patch for the rest of their life rather than them take one pouff from a cigarette.  But vaping kills.  But I would only say that if they asked.  Just me. Most people do not want to know.  but if they ask..... speak the truth as you know it.

lqsi12

actually my post is referral for the many different type of quitting from hypnosis to inhalers to champix and NRT's, I read many post and articles with referrals to those types aids and wonder if I should comment on what I have read as well as quoted my sources.  Scary what some are capable of doing to ones health, e cigs are included in this group. 

0 Kudos
indingrl

What DO you want someone to say to YOU- it was SUGGESTED to ME 8 YEARS AGO- to educate MY self about MY nicotine addiction NOT anyone else's - just sharing what was SUGGESTED TO ME by the ELDERS  on this site - gentle hug.

anaussiemom

lqsi12 Do not believe everything you read

NRTs work for many....

sweetplt

I did cold turkey because I wanted withdrawl one time only...however, I have seen NRT's help many quit ... so no judgement here, what works in order to get Freedom from Smoking...I say "Rock on"...~ Colleen 98 DOF

Barbscloud

We can reach the same goal of being a non-smoker in many ways.  There are people that have quit using all of them.  This time I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers and for the first time will have a 1 year quit in 2 days.  In conjunction with these aids, the support on the Ex makes a world of difference. 

DavesTime

As someone who was a lifelong closet smoker I also abused nicotine gum (what "got me through" the times I couldn't smoke just made me even  more strongly addicted to nicotine).  Even when I managed to quit smoking for 26 months I still chewed the gum heavily.  I DID try to quit cold turkey many times (obviously unsuccessfully).  For me, educating myself about my addiction was crucial.  When it came time for me to finally quit for good I felt I needed something other than cold turkey.  I chose to use bupropion/wellbutrin in conjunction with a nicotine patch.  Others can go cold turkey, and that's great.  I knew I needed more if I was going to be successful.  Tomorrow I will celebrate 6 months smoke-free and 4 1/2 months completely free of nicotine.  Different quit methods work for different people.

elvan

I quit cold turkey but I have nothing against NRT's or hypnosis or acupunture...I am not a fan of e-cigarettes because I think the delivery system is too close to smoking.  After I had been quit for over a week, someone suggested that I try the patch to help me with any issues I might have...I said no because I did not want to reintroduce nicotine into my body.  I came very close to dying when I quit and I never wanted to go through quitting again.  God knows I had done it over and over again before I found EX and freedom.

Ellen