cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Stophelp

I just keep starting over

Hello all,

i have quit smoking a dozen times, I get to day two or three and want a cigarette. I go outside and only smoke about a half cigarette then I am content again. I can tell that my breathing is affected but I still can’t get past the urge to smoke. I think it is boredom, maybe. 

I live alone with my poodle and we only have each other. So, I really want to quit so I can be hear for her. This last year I went through a very devastating divorce so, a lot of changes at once. I guess. My family thinks I quit smoking a year ago. I appreciate being herewith all of you.

27 Replies
Beck37

Welcome to Ex.... First of all do you really want to quit smoking? Have you written down all the reasons you want to quit? Being successful is all about your attitude. If you are going to “light up” every time something stressful happens, then you will be smoking for a long, long time. Life can be really hard.  Most of us on this site have smoked our entire adult lives and never learned to deal with life’s challenges without the aid of cigarettes so you are not alone. 

If you are serious about this, then you need to change your way of thinking.  You can’t allow yourself an out. A quit is a quit, anything else is just taking a hiatus. I smoked for 37+ years. There are people on this site that smoked over 50 years. Stay out of your head. The moment you even start to think about smoking just shake it right out of there. 

You do do have the ability to do this. You are stronger than you think and we are here for you.  

Beck

Stophelp

Yes, I do want to quit. I started smoking as a teenager, 40+ years ago. 

ozzymom

Hi Stophelp, you're really not alone as you've got this group.  I'm right there with you having stopped more times than i can count.  I currently stopped cigs but now i vape....ALL THE TIME and have to quit that too cause i'm starting a new job where i won't be able to vape all day.  I'm working on day 4 but it seems to be getting harder rather than easier.  I think what Beck37 said was really true, we have to want it & then get out of our heads when the urge to smoke/vape comes up.  I'm finding that straws & water really help but deep down inside I KNOW I need to change my attitude. I have to want this for me & not just to be able to do a job.  You need to find your reasons & keep telling it to yourself.  

when you get the urge, take the poodle & go for a walk or give her a good brushing, anything to keep you distracted.  I think the more we go through the day to day living without smoking, the more natural that'll become & eventually that'll be our new normal.

good luck & know you've got this!

Deena-A-Yenni

You are no different than any of us.  You have your own unique quit story but are no different.  We are all addicted to nicotine.  

I'm so glad you found this site.  This site will make the difference for you.  The people in this site will make the difference for you.  First you must do a lot of reading to educate yourself about the addiction.  There is material on this site for you to read.  There are Elders on this site who will provide you material soon when everybody wakes-up for you to absorb.  Dive into it.

Welcome and I can not wait to follow your quit journey and cheer you on!!  Please continue to blog!!

JACKIE1-25-15

Good morning and welcome.  I understand the starting over.  That is what ADDICTION does to us. The best way to get through that is to make a commitment that no matter what you will not smoke.  That NOPE, not one puff ever.  I can not say it enough, but education is the key to a successful quit. Start first by educating yourself on addiction to nicotine. Foundation For A Successful Quit‌ this blog will give you a jump start.  Also, it is advisable to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info is www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  Quitting takes planning and preparation go to EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  to decide how you are going to go about quitting. To get help on navigating the site go to. Community He My lp‌.  Again Welcome, there is more to come.  If you have any questions you can do a search with the magnifying to respond glass type any keywords and research.  If you have any questions just ask and give us the opportunity to respond.  We are here for you. 

anaussiemom

welcome-3d-yellow-green-animated.gif

Stophelp

Thank you all for the positive words. I really appreciate all of you. This is my reason to quit for good. 

949FBB45-90FE-4409-9A4C-9BA8D619F929.jpeg

Beck37

Truly adorable and an excellent reason to quit. What other motivation do you need?

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  I see tomorrow is your quit date.  That's great.  Read, read, read.  The better you understand this addiction the better you're chances of success.   Most of us have smoked for many years and have quit numerous times.  The support of this site has made all the difference for me this time.  We're all in this together, so reach out if you need support.

Cute dog!   There are lots of pet lovers here, so that's one thing you'll find we have in common.  We love sharing photos of our best friends.

Barb