cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jenn14

All the reason, none of the strength!

I was able to cut down from half a pack to 5 a day during my first trimester, quit for my second, and three a day during my third. I'm nursing and still smoke occassionally, sometimes one a day, sometimes as many as five. I have a little devil on my shoulder saying "That's really not THAT bad," even though I keep thinking about all the toxins and chemicals, even in the smallest trace amounts, that I'm giving my baby every time I inhale.
I mean, if someone gave me a dropper and said "Hey, there's about a hundred different toxins in this. Give your baby one drop, he'll be fine," I so wouldn't, but that's what I'm doing everytime I feed him. The hardest cigarette to give up are the ones I smoke with my boyfriend in the evening. He has a five year old that we have custody of, and with a three month old baby, things can get a little, well, ANNOYING in the evening. I love the after dinner cigarette on our pretty back patio, the one we smoke away from the kids with just the sound of the birds and we have a few minutes of uninterrupted conversation. That one is my favorite, I never miss it. It's even better than the "The kids are asleep and the chores are done" cigarette at night. So what's the substitution for THAT trigger? ; )
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jean913

I feel for ya. Im in my first trimest and went from a pack 1/2 of light to less than a 1/2 pack of ultra lights. I really need to quit and dont understand my i can't
0 Kudos
jenn14

Yeah, it makes you feel like crap when you know you're not doing your baby any favors by not quitting, and the fact that you still can't just tells you how horribly addicted you are. Good luck! You can do it!
0 Kudos
kim34

I am pregnant and have cut down. It is hard when my husband smokes. I say every night that tomorrow I will not smoke. When non smokers are around me like my mother and sister, i am fine. No cigarettes.

As soon as my husband is around, i smoke.

What do I do?
0 Kudos
jenn14

I'm the same way. If I'm home alone with no cigs, I don't really think about it too much, but once he gets home or especially if I'm around his family, I don't stand a chance. My parents smoke too, but even if I hang out with them all day I might smoke just 2 (and really, with my mom, I really feel like I need them... ; ) And it's even harder when you live with a smoker who has no desire to quit...

I don't know if your husband is a heavy smoker or not, but you might tell him all the reasons why cigs are bad for the baby and that you really hate that you're smoking while pregnant and ask him to support you by not smoking when he gets home. If while he's home he really feels like he needs one, ask him to run an errand to smoke. Tell him not to tell you "Hey, I'm gonna go smoke," just tell him to tell you he's going to the store or going to get gas or something so you don't have to see it or hear about it. Maybe that will help...
0 Kudos
donna78

Im finding that the hardest smokes to give up as well...Im a single mom and my refuge has become that smoke on the balcony! My son is 11yrs old and can well....drive me up the wall. lol. Im trying to write, read, have a bath. Anything to avoid the trigger. Im still smoking and think that is going to be my hardest trigger as well. Good luck though!!
0 Kudos
liz-szabo

Hi Jenn,

I cover smoking issues for USA TODAY, along with other health news,and you would be perfect for a story I'm writing about helping women to quit. I don't smoke, but I have a 9-month-old daughter, so I know about new parenting stress!

If you think you would like to share your story (we need to include first and last names), please give me a ring or email at 703-854-5455 or 1-800-872-3410, or lszabo@usatoday.com

Congratulations on trying to reduce your smoking. It's a wonderful gift to give both yourself and your children.
Liz Szabo
USA TODAY
0 Kudos
liz-szabo

Hi Jean913,

I cover smoking issues for USA TODAY, along with other health news,and you would be perfect for a story I'm writing about helping women to quit. I don't smoke, but I have a 9-month-old daughter, so I remember what it's like to give things up during pregnancy (my migraine medications), and I know about new parenting stress. Giving up smoking is probably harder than all of those, though.

If you think you would like to share your story about wanting to quit (we need to include first and last names), please give me a ring or email at 703-854-5455 or 1-800-872-3410, or lszabo@usatoday.com

Best of luck in your attempts!

Liz Szabo
USA TODAY
0 Kudos
liz-szabo

Hi Kim,

I think it's great that you've cut down on smoking. They say every bit helps.

I cover smoking and health for USA TODAY, and I'm writing about efforts to help women give up cigarettes during pregnancy and afterward. If you think you'd like to share your story, please email me lszabo@usatoday.com. Thanks.

Liz Szabo
0 Kudos