cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tova

What should I do when smoking aides do not work?

I have spent money on the nicoten gum without any good result. There have been negative reviews on using "patches" as they can lead to the user having a heart attack. Therefore, I am at a loss as what to do. Does any one have advice for me. Thank you in advance.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Susan59

Tova I used the patch without issue......unless you have a heart condition the patches should work well. You just can't smoke when you wear them (nor should you smoke anyway if you have quit right?)

If you are concerned speak with your doctor, My advice is that any of the NRT products will help (gum. lozenge, inhaler, patch) but the most important thing is to have a good plan in place for what you will do when you have a crave. Even with these products you will still need to do a lot of work to change your thoughts and actions to not involve cigs.

We can do this! Be strong and be committed.

Prayers Susan
0 Kudos
tova

Thank you so much , Susan, for the quick reply. It is nice to know that we don't have to go this alone.
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Hi Tova,

Great questions. I would suggest looking at some of the articles here and reply to them so we can understand how to get you past the hurdles you are having because everyone is different.

To me it is more about an attitude that you love yourself and will stop poisoning yourself. I do not think there is a miracle pill, potion, lotion or patch that does what you really want it to do even though they all have helped some.

The easiest way to me is giving thanks and praise and finding out what needs to be changed so that the outcome changes.

So look around and check out the groups we have and see if you feel like it is helping.

Wishing you find what you are looking for and when you do we will be there to support you...fair enough?

rs
0 Kudos
tova

Very fair, Manof Steel, Your words are wise.
0 Kudos
melissa9

Everyone in my family that used the aids said they didn't work except a cousin used some come of lozenge (misspelled I am sure) I don't remember the name right now. But for me I cut down then threw them down. Like ManofSteele said read up on anything you are thinking to use to help you. Then talk to your doctor.Ask all the questions you have to the Doc. The doc needs to and will stay and answer everything for you. So make you a list of questions.Good luck.
0 Kudos
tova

Thank you for the feedback....
0 Kudos
Giulia

I used a product called Smoke Away which helped. But it's really all just a mind game. I think one needs to go into brain training in order to beat this addiction. So the more you read, the wiser and more prepared you'll be. I set my quit date a month in advance and spent that month just getting my head in the right place. If you haven't read Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking," I suggest you do so. It's a great tool.

The object of the game is to become Master and not Slave. And you do that by any means possible. The more you use your imagination and sense of humor, the better off you'll be. Take what works and disregard the rest.

We're here for ya!

Giulia (2 years 3 mos +)
0 Kudos
raychel

I do not mean to make light of anything that you said but I have to say, I always find it amusing when smokers are concerned with the health risks of something that could help them stop smoking, but they continue to puff away at nasty old cigs day after day after day.

Cigarettes themselves CAUSE heart attacks. Among hundreds of other things....

Honestly...I tried NRTs shortly and found they just prolonged my agony. In my opinion the best thing to do is cold turkey. Yes, the first few days may suck immensely. But they won't kill you. Once the nicotine is out of your system the craves begin to diminish rapidly and it is time to work on the triggers and mental craves.
0 Kudos
polly2

I'm on day two using lozenges. What I've noticed is that they make me still feel dependent on nicotine to get through the day. I only had 5 yesterday, but they do seem to prolong the agongy as well as being a constant reminder to me that I have to put something in my body to feel better. I think you are right -- I need to get nicotine out of my system once and for all! Thanks for your post!!
0 Kudos