cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

George-Martin

Quit Date

So I am back after being smoke free for 3 years- started back in 2014

My quit day is coming soon- not sure if I need more lead time?  I am a week away i think and just now getting back in the community

Thx  need suggestions and support

11 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I planned my quit about a week ahead.  Did not know about this site so didn't really prep too much.  I did use the patch and got rid of everything smoke related.  Bought some books to read to occupy my mind.  I discovered this site the morning of day 3 (I think) or thereabouts.  I read and stayed close to this site.  I did not agree with everything and everyone, but took what I needed and left the rest.  Best wishes to you!

elvan

I had come to the site before I quit but I didn't succeed,  I had a failed quit in May of 2013 and another in Oct of 2013 before I quit for good in January 2014, I found that the things I had done to prepare for the other quits helped me...I tracked my cigarettes and what my triggers were and I planned for what I would do instead of smoking.  It was really helpful when I did quit...my quit was jump started by serious illness and irreversible lung damage.  I read blogs, I came here every single morning and every evening once I was able to sit up and do so.  I used the plan on the site, My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  I paid close attention to what was working for other people and I implemented what I could into my quit.  This blog was written by YoungAtHeart‌ and I think the blog and the comments are helpful For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)  The next blog was written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ and I read it over and over again when I first quit /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  Many people recommend reading Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking"...I read it after I had quit, I took it out from the library and there were some things that worked for me, some that I did not relate to but it is certainly worth the read.  Plan your quit, be prepared, stay close to the site we all want you to succeed.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

What elvan‌ and Jennifer-Quit said!

Read it ALL - a week is enough time to do that.  Read here and Allen Carr and the other good information on the websites I recommended. 

Track your cigarettes, know your triggers and make plans ahead of time to reduce their number and what you can do instead.  Put smoking each one off just a bit so you show yourself you don't have to smoke when you think you need to.

Education, planning, preparation and commitment are what is needed in this endeavor.  it isn't easy but it IS doable.

We can help!

Nancy

DonnaMarie

Hi George,

Welcome. I have quit more times than I'd like to admit. I've been on this site before and tucked my tail and hid when I went back to smoking. 

I have one question for you - why do you want to wait? Do you have something in mind yet?

Everyone's quit is different. In my case, I just sorta stopped; I didn't even mean to quit. 

I'm not slamming you for wanting to make a plan, but when you go to bed tonight, you're going to quit for 6-10 hours while you sleep. Maybe just don't start up again? 

We all had a day 1, or several days 1. I look forward to your quit and reading more from you!

Donna

Day 64

sweetplt

Welcome Back 

Sorry you lost your quit...I lost two long one's too...and started this one on December 3, 2018.  Do this quit as if it is your first and last quit.  I suggest you go to My Quit Plan and work the program and set your quit date.  The prepare for this date like no other...We are all in this journey together...Keep close to the site for any and all help...~ Colleen 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

George-Martin

Don't forget to check out Re: How do I get my quit date to show on the community?‌ to get your quit date updated. It is not current.

I hope things are going well with you.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Hey George, today's the day?  Or soon to be?  Sending strength.  Chin up.  You can do this!

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

George-Martin

Come back! You started to get the stone rolling. Let's keep it going!

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome back! Keep reading, keep blogging. Bottom line--one day at a time--pre-quit and thereafter.  Yes you can.

0 Kudos