cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tinalbowser

Oh my

This is so much harder than I thought it was going to be I had my mind set I knew I was going to quit I was never going to buy another pack of cigarettes but these days I really don’t know how I’m going to stop. I’m ashamed to come to this website but I know y’all are not judge mental. Like that other site.. I just want you know I have not quit yet I’m still smoking but I still want to quit I just don’t know how to ...my quit date was Monday. It’s not  happening cold turkey yet yes I’ve cut back yes I’m smoking less but I know that means nothing until I stop completely and give it up thank you guys for being here   

24 Replies
sweetplt

Hi hon 

Keep it here and never give up trying because one of these quits will stick.  Did you work on the “ my quit plan “? Click on top of page and work on it...really helps.

In the meantime, we are here for you. Colleen aka sweetp

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I am sorry you didn't make it this time.  You should  set a new date, and continue to work towards it.  This is too important for you not to.  You REALLY don't know which cigarette you smoke might start the process of mutation that will evolve into cancer, or COPD or................PLEASE read the Allen Carr book if you haven't already.  Folks have noted they are EXCITED to start their quit after getting his good information about our addiction.

Read, read and read some more.  Think about what is going through your mind when you are supposed to be starting your quit.  Are you telling yourself you can't do it?  That it's too hard?  That it doesn't matter - because you will probably fail?  If so, change your mind's direction!  Be EXCITED to begin the journey to be free of addiction.  Think about all positives that will happen as a result!  Think instead about the money you will save, about the fact that you won't smell like a dirty ashtray anymore, that you will be able to sit after a dinner out and just enjoy that cup of coffee without wondering when you will be able to get your next fix, you will be PRESENT in your life - not worrying about smoking....or if you have enough on hand if there is a storm forecast...not to mention the added time in your day to pursue the good things in life.

I can't WAIT for you to start again!

Nancy

anaussiemom

Hi Tinalbowser, I have quit so many times in a year that I have been here.  Been thru some NML , before this site and such.

Something shook my core, my being, recently and I"  stopped before it was to late for me.

I pray everyday the thoughts that scared me, do not leave me.  I thought nothing would help me to kick this.  And so on and so forth...

It has been almost 9 days won this time.  I do have some dynamics in my life that are pushing me forward to the door to help me to be a Quit For Life!  However I can still light up.  I say Hell NO! For health reasons.

I wanted to smoke this eve.  Cannot, will not, won't, not today.  Moments don't last long (urges) .  Breathing, prayer, hope is getting me thru.

You can do this.  Please do it before your health turns to shit.  Im 58.  I miss so much.  I can do so much too....   Weather permitting"!  It is not possible at the  moment,  the weather is yuk, Im still dealing with a cold mixed in smoking. (past tense)

Focus on what you want from a quit.  3 to 5 secs.  then breath............Your brains thoughts will shift.  It is an over and over process.  I hope for a good" day" tomorrow with my quit. No one knows that for sure except God.

I will hold tight anyway!!

YOU CAN DO THIS! 

millon03

You are going to feel so incredibly awesome when you do finally make the decision that you are done! I am so excited for you because I know how I feel right now and I know what's ahead for you in the very near future! I am totally rooting for you girl! You can do this! 

Peace!

M.

marciem

The only 100% guaranteed way to quit smoking is .... STOP SMOKING.  There's a hilarious Bob Newhart video on youtube called "STOP IT".  He makes his $ just yelling "STOP IT" at his patients... Ya had to be there, but really and truly, you can't smoke and quit at the same time.  Take smoking off the table as an option.  Recognize that you're going to feel crappy for a while.  Antsy, nervous, edgy, angry really angry, mean and a whole lot of things you don't like feeling.  You might also have some insomnia and forgetfulness.   But remember... every bad thing about quitting is TEMPORARY.  The benefits are permanent and keep growing better.  But you have to go through it to get through it.

Once you've made your mindset one of excitement for the adventure, and read everything that's been recommended to you maybe even twice, then get rid of all smoking materials in your space (not just cigarettes, but lighters, ashtrays, anything else you associate with smoking... a chair on the patio or in the garage?  Move it!).   Have a new routine for times when you smoked, esp. with morning coffee (i.e. change your place, or have tea or cocoa for a while instead)... I'd suggest that every time you want to smoke, you come here, log on, read and post. If your weather permits, go for a walk, run, jog or do jumping jacks in front of the TV.

Just some ideas.  If you keep doing the same things, you're going to get the same results.

Best to you!

millon03

I LOVE that Bob Newhart video! Thanks for the reminder!

Love what your saying too. Great things to remember. (((I can't seem to stay away from this site!!!)

Peace!

M.

elvan

You can do this and you WERE excited about doing it and about saving money and about going to Florida...that WAS you, wasn't it?  OMG, have I mixed you up with someone else?  You were planning to save money and fix up your house and visit family in Florida....don't let your addiction win.  You can be in charge of your own life and how you spend your time and money and how much you invest in your health.

Stay close...before you smoke, blog with HELP in the subject line, maybe we can get you through some craves and instead of smoking, you will think of coming here.  This journey is so worth it.

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Here's a link to that Newhart video:

millon03

That is just awesome #youngatheart‌.7.4.12! I love that clip! Made my day!