cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

StacyS

How long until my reflexes adjust...

My quit day is tomorrow.  I am down to 3 cigarettes a day; tomorrow is 0.  I find my self checking my pockets for my cigarettes and lighter whenever I go to leave the house or work, walk the dog, etc.  It's like a reflex even though I really don't want one or feel a craving for one. I remind myself that I don't smoke anymore and go on my way. When do those little automatic habits cease?

38 Replies
SaraCorinne

I still do that on occasion but it's getting less and less. 

I quit 62 days ago. 

I definitely don't think about them everyday anymore!

You can do this!

Good luck, be strong tomorrow!

StacyS

Thank you!

Giulia

I never had that reflex myself.  But I know for others it can continue for a while.  I think we're all different in how quitting affects us.  I believe when we really change our thinking, accept the choice we've made to no longer put a cigarette in our mouths we move forward faster on the journey.  

Part of smoking is definitely "habit."  It's not simply addiction alone.  So when we change the "habit" part, the hand-to-mouth part, the sitting on the back deck part, the siting in our normal chair with coffee and a cigarette part, we begin to remove the habitual pattern of our smoking.  Time away from that habit, from the normal procedures we went through smoking every day, is what helps to change those reflexes.  Time is really the only "cure" for this addiction.

To my mind those "automatic impulses" cease the minute we really believe that smoking is no longer an option in our world.  Is it "automatic" for you to go to your closet for your winter coat when it's spring?

Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on you first day smoke free.   I cut down this time also and along with the Exer, it worked for me.

Stay close and reach out if you need support.

Barb

221 DOF

StacyS

Thank you!

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations on your day one...soon to be a day WON!  I can't exactly tell you when that goes away but I know that I looked around for my cigarettes for a while after I quit...just before I left the house.  I had thrown EVERYTHING away that reminded me of smoking so I would have had to spend a LOT of time looking.  It DOES go away but we really programmed ourselves for as long as we smoked.  It's a journey...

Ellen

the simple answer to that question is when you start replacing those reflexes with other more positive ones.  When you leave for work, pop in a stick of gum.  when you walk the dog, plug in some music.  That's otherwise known as the "habit" part of smoking.  the rituals we go through that include smoking.  Start replacing those with those mentioned above or create your own, but do the same thing for each task, i.e. walking the dog, leaving for work, coming home from work.  retrain your brain to associate the thing you're doing with something that doesn't include a cigarette anymore.  recreate memories.  I always used smoking when I was trying to figure out something.  That happened to me around 4 months into it and I was playing Shera lugging up this 100 pound treadmill into the house.  I was standing in the kitchen thinking of ways of doing this without killing myself.  I found myself instantly reaching for that pack of cigarettes without even thinking about it.  The only thing that popped in my head was, boy, old habits die hard.  Then I started taking notice of when and why I wanted to smoke and developed new practices.  I think smoking is 3 percent physical and 97 percent emotional, a head thang.  Quitting is only as hard as you make it to be.  You'll do just great.

For the first month, I cut up some straws and puffed on those when things got tough while I was making my brain go through hoops.  Soon I found I didn't need them anymore because I was creating new habits.  Tomorrow I'll have 1,000 days quit and I was one heck of a chain smoker for 43 years.  This really can be done.  Just dig your heels in and stick with it.  If it's too hard to go cold turkey and you feel you're crawling the walls, try the patch.  did wonders for me. 

StacyS

Congrats on 1,000 day and cheers to 1,000 more! I am using the patch and that is helping a lot. The early hours of my morning were definitely the hardest so far. I know I'm not a smoker anymore and when my brain wants to reach for one I verbally remind myself. Thank you for your words and encouragement!

Steverichey

Hi Stacy's I believe you and I are on the same track Oct 20th I am a cigar addict who strugged to shut it down the 20th and did have a drag each of the next two days, after searching the ground for butts, Yeah disgusting I know. It's not easy. Today is better, still tough moments.  Getting a lot of help and support here! Let's stick with all these Ex'ers!