cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

StacyS

How long until my reflexes adjust...

My quit day is tomorrow.  I am down to 3 cigarettes a day; tomorrow is 0.  I find my self checking my pockets for my cigarettes and lighter whenever I go to leave the house or work, walk the dog, etc.  It's like a reflex even though I really don't want one or feel a craving for one. I remind myself that I don't smoke anymore and go on my way. When do those little automatic habits cease?

38 Replies
StacyS

Are you using any nicotine replacement treatments?  I'm using the patch and it has helped control my need for nicotine a great deal.  I feel like I am really only battling the physical part of this habit.  It will get better though! 

maryfreecig

Not long. That's memory. Memory serves us so well much of the time. As you quit, your brain will relearn nonsmoking ways. One day at a time, yes you can.

StacyS

Thank you!

0 Kudos
autumnpepper

My quit day was the 18th.  So I have had 3 days of freedom! Glad you decided to quit.  I've had so much support here.  I've read a lot of information here about nicotine addiction.  I really didn't want to smoke any more when I googled, free help to quit smoking.  I know I can't smoke sometimes, just cut down.  I know that doesn't work.  So I plan on staying close to this site and guarding my quit.  

We can do it!

Autumn 3 dof

StacyS

Yay Autumn! You got this! I got this!  This site is exactly the support we need. 8pm will be 24 hours for me. I feel stronger now than I did this morning. And I have to believe that each day we will be stronger than the day before! Now to conquer meal planning so I dont gain a ton!

autumnpepper

Me too!  It's taken me a year to lose 20lbs.  I don't be want be to gain by it back.

Giulia

7 hours to go to you first 24 hours smoke-free.  You can do it. Hang in!

StacyS

I'm on Day 2. So far today is easier than yesterday!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Well DANG!  I was off by a day.  Isn't THAT nice!  Glad today's better.  Things can change on a dime with this monster, so watch your back.  And SMILE!  You're doin' it!