cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

virgomama

PRE-QUIT DAY 5

I've taken the advice folks have written on my previous conversation.  My house and my car are now smoke free areas.  I've had a talk with my partner and to my surprise he has agreed to the house being smoke free as well. 

Working on my reasons to quit, which, of course, makes me think of smoking, which makes me want one which frustrates the crap out of me which makes me think of my quit kit so I'm trying out the JUST BREATHE as I sit here typing.  I'm amazed at the maze of twists and turns my nicotine addicted mind has to throw me off my game.  And I haven't even completely quit yet!!!!!

So glad I've been reading a lot on this site because all of you have already prepared me for this happening.  These are the tools I was missing in my previous quits.  So frustrated as I am with my mind game I'm really glad to be putting to use some what I've gathered here. 

AAgh!!!BREATHE BREATHE BREATHE

11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

So happy to hear you are doing your quit "homework!"  Doing so gives you a much better chance for this to be your final quit!

Keep practicing.  I hope you have read the book by Allen Carr?  If not, I highly recommend that you do.  Not only will it help you to understand what is going on in your body and mind when you quit, you will understand WHY you are feeling and thinking as you do.

Glad you are here.  Stay close!.  We ALL want you to be successful!

Nancy

virgomama

No, I haven't read that book yet.  It keeps getting repeated so I need to make time to.  I think someone said I could probably get it at the local library.  I'm going to try there.  I will stay close Youngatheart.  Thank you.

maryfreecig

Keep up the great work!

virgomama

Thanks

0 Kudos
elvan

virgomama‌ I really think you are on the right path and that you are stronger than you giver yourself credit for...remember,. quitting is a journey and not an event and not a battle.  Get some sour or hot candies to suck on to change your focus...get some bubble juice and blow bubbles...you can't blow bubbles if you are not breathing correctly.  It might also help your partner...breathe in through the nose...count to say five or six and then EXHALE slowly through pursed lips...while you are blowing bubbles.  If you exhale too quickly...you won't get any bubbles.  I was told that we should exhale to double or triple the count we use when we INHALE...a respiratory therapist told me and it really does make a difference.  I also blow a ping pong ball around the pool when I can go there...it actually energizes me because I am getting rid of the trapped air and inhaling fresh air.  COPD is tough and nothing makes it go away but we can stop it from progressing as quickly as it would have if we smoked and did not exercise or eat right.  

One day at a time, one step at a time, one lesson at a time.  I am so glad that your partner agreed to a smoke free house.

Hugs,

Ellen

virgomama

Thanks, Elvan.  

I was glad my partner agreed to smokefree as well, as it will be better for him also.  And the lung exercise is great.  I'm passing that onto him and using it myself.  I've been a hiker all my life and I instinctively have tried pushing out the old air when I was hiking because it made me less tired.  Nice to know I was onto something.  

Thanks again for your support.  One day at a time.  

Mommamich

I'm not sure if this would interest you but it was a life saver when I decided to quit. It's homeopathic and can be purchased on IHerb.com. it's called Smoke Free by Boerick & Tafel. 

virgomama

I'm a big fan of homeopathic.  Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Bekica

Read, re-read and take in all the lessons out here ready for you! You want this don't you...and while you are smoking ask yourself and try and remember your reply! Remember that this is not what you want for you...count and write down all the reasons why you do not want it. Remember that we're all in this together - but this is where we want to be! We want to do what is right for us - we want to be free! And smoke free!