cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

virgomama

PRE-QUIT DAY 2

So thanks to those who commented on my first day pre quit, I'm making a list for what I'm going to do next.  Make my home and my car smoke free right now.  I'm told that will make it easier when I do quit because I'll have those triggers less active.  Great ideas.  

The patches really did help with cravings.  It was a lot easier to think about How I would handle the "triggers" without having the withdrawals to deal with.  I know that's inevitable, but one step at a time.  

5 Replies
indingrl

GOOD JOB!

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Your doing great...I hope your not smoking with the patch on though....dangerous territory for your heart health there.

Get a mini tramp and jump when craves comes if your able to. Also good for the waistline and food craves.

I jumped to music .

Enjoy some brisk walking. I looked at my quit as a way to begin taking care of ALL OF ME

Learn  a new hobby...knit-crochet- gardening-painting-drawing, piano-guitar...Think 'Things to exercise my fingers'

And of course I cleaned out every single drawer and cupboard, washed them all out and put in new shelf paper.

You can do this

virgomama

Thanks, Mandolinrain.  Warning duly noted about heart health and I listened.  I do have a mini tramp.  And I will set it up for cold winter months.  Right now  I can get outside and walk which is my primary exercise right now.  Have a feeling I'll be doing a lot more of it. And making a list of to do's in the house will be coming up.  Think that would be good to keep on my fridge. 

0 Kudos
SoosannahK

My main thing was keeping my hands and my mind busy. I did some needlepoint and cross stitch (which I need to finish) and played a lot of video games (which I am still playing). Also kept a bottle of water and a pretty dish of mints, dum dum suckers and tootsie pops within reach for the hand to mouth thing. The lollipops are still sitting close by, but I find I don't need them anymore. I also bought a diffuser and essential oils to have a nice light scent flowing my way. I also made out a list of things I would do instead of smoke that way I had a variety of things to do. Its on one of my blog post if you wanna take a peek. I also chose to eat whatever, whenever I wanted the first week although that can get a little out of control for me. The few pounds I gained will not do any damage, the smoking will. Now I am working toward better eating and getting my weight down as I feel better about my quit. That doesn't mean that I am not on guard with my quit, it is just I am in a better place mentally than those first 2 weeks.  I did the whole cold turkey thing, and I was well prepared for my Q day. 

You can do this!!

Susan

elvan

Oh yeah...the water and I kept frozen cherries and blueberries to snack on (use a spoon or your fingers will be creepy...Halloween creepy), I also sucked on Sour Patch kids because they SHOCKED my craves away, I kept lemons handy with the idea that if a crave became overwhelming, I would bite into a lemon, rind and all...the thought stopped the craves from becoming overwhelming.  When I was able to exercise, I used that as a distraction AND as a way to release dopamine, I was STUNNED at how much it helped.  I played  computer games, kept a journal and wrote down three things I was grateful for each day (I will admit that some were repeated).  I came here every morning and every evening and I read blogs, I commented, I asked for advice, and I FOLLOWED it.  I allowed myself to grow and to FEEL...it was and it IS amazing.  The quitting part gets easier and the growing part gets more rewarding.  You CAN do this...hopefully, before you do the kind of damage that I did.

Best,

Ellen