cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bellegonia

Intermittent Fasting and Smoking vs Not Smoking

Hi,

I am an Intermittent Faster (IF) practicing an 18 hour fast and a 6 hour eating window. More often than not I have one meal a day (OMAD). I am on hour 48 of my quit (or will be by the time I'm done writing this) and want to know if there are any other IFers out there that have also quit smoking. I would love the additional support/experiences shared as it relates to diet - and I hope soon - excersize.

Thank you,

Barbara (Bellegonia)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I hope there is someone out there who can - it sure isn't ME.  I was the queen of snacking when I quit.  Are you allowed sugar-free gum or mints during your fasting time? 

Hoping............................................

Nancy

0 Kudos
Bellegonia

You're so funny Nancy

You can have anything that doesn't initiate and insulin response... ie - no sugars. Sorry, this one probably isn't for you!

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

First off congrats on your quit

I also do the IF- 16:8 for the most part- sometimes a shorter window of eating. I normally have breakfast at 11, lunch around 3 and dinner at 7. I started the IF a few months before quitting and was worried, but from the month before I quit till 2 months after quitting I lost 11 lbs. My eating habits were bad during that time- lots of sugar and breads, but I still lost weight while quitting smoking and staying with the IF. 10 months later I still use breath mints as my go to when the desire to smoke hits even during fasting times, but I am eating better. I have a lot of weight to lose still and chronic health issues makes working out challenging at best, I do what I can do though. Breathing has gotten better and I give my decision to quit credit for that.

Hold tight to your quit and give yourself some slack if the other parts of life get put on the back burner for a few weeks.

Tabbie

Bellegonia

Thanks Tabbie for the encouragement to do a mint or something during fasting when quitting.

I'm only on Day 3 but so far it's been OK. With the help of Chantix also, I haven't had the urge to grab something for a craving except water. Fingers crossed... I know the time will come and I have mentally and emotionally given myself permission to do anything I need to do NOT to smoke.

My fast typically starts at 9 PM and ends between 12:30 - 3:30. I break mine with Organifi red Juice and Dr Gundry's Vital Reds. I tried Kettle Fire Bone broth also and it is excellent! I try to drink some Green Juice but usually don't desire it by the time I'm making dinner. Right now I'm concentrating on not drinking beer while making dinner or during happy hour. Besides cigs, it's my one other vise. India Pale Ale. ARGH!!!!!! And usually 3 or 4 of them.

Since I quit I haven't smoked or drank anything. I have had some loose BMs (which I figure must be detoxing sludge) in spite of a probiotic every morning. Last night I had trouble sleeping too for the first time. It could have been because my Honey kept stealing the blanket and I was freezing though. LOL.

I will keep you close, it's nice to know someone else just knows about IF on the boards!

Barb

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

I also quit with the help of Chantix. I only took the first 1mg dose with my first meal of the day and never went to 2mg. That may be part cause for your loose BM's too. For the most part I slept fine, dreams more vivid and a few nights of insomnia, but that has been my norm for years. The first couple of weeks were rather easy to get through, around the one month mark is where I got hit the hardest with the emotional loss of smoking. Even now, 10 months as a non-smoker it catches me and I have the thought of grabbing one. So I know I have to keep my guard up. Feel free to contact me anytime

Tabbie

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hi Barbara-

Is this some sort of program you do for a reason? I mean is it a diet or a healthy weight program or .......? Or is this just something you do because you have always done it?

I am asking because I actually only eat one meal a day and always have. I don't call what I do before and after that meal "fasting" because .....well, I don't. But a VERY TYPICAL day for me is coffee when I wake up, water all day long and then a full dinner. However, I don't consciously "keep" myself from eating. And if someone is passing around cookies at the office....I'll probably have one just to be part of the group. But I am truly not usually hungry during the day. AND----if I have to eat lunch (as in I have to go to a luncheon and be polite and eat something).....I really hate it because if I eat in the middle of the day I get REALLY TIRED! I don't know why I'm like this....but I always have been. People have been telling me all my life that it is unhealthy........but I made it this far, usually have quite a bit of energy, still work full time, exercise every day and have no huge health issues.

As I say----I don't do this for any reason other than I always have......since I was a very young child. I never heard the term OMAD (!!) nor do I think of the time of not eating as "fasting" again...never heard of IF.

Anyway---you asked for some thoughts on quitting and so here they are.......

when I was actively trying to quit, I still ate only one meal per day (again, because that's my normal)....but I DID snack quite a lot more outside that one meal than I normally do. It's the hand to mouth thing about smoking that you need a substitute for a little while. I gained some weight when I quit also.......but easily took it off at the end of one year. My advice is if you consciously fast ---by which I mean you WANT to eat but you keep yourself from doing so---you should not continue this while in your first quitting stages. The term H.A.L.T is an acronym recognized by all people in recovery........do not let yourself get Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired as these are triggers for your addiction to take over. You may need to be more flexible about your eating habits to have a successful quit.

Have you quit already? Stay Strong and keep in touch.

Bellegonia

Hi Sootie,

Yes it is actually a thing! And like you I have been a one meal a day sort of person for as long as I can remember and many people would tell me (including my Honey) just how unhealthy that was. The weird thing is if I do eat regular "meals" I feel bloated, lethargic and "fat" as in really uncomfortable in my clothes. Don't get me wrong, I love a good big breakfast but it would usually still end up eing my one "big" meal a day. A few months ago I was finishing a very long shift and noticed my right ankle was realy swollen. I hadn't injured it... I'm in the healthcare filed and knew I should be concerned about a DVT. Long story short - it wasn't that thank goodness, but it got me searching the internet for causes... which lead me to a long roound about way to Intermittent Fasting. Just go to You Tube and put IF or OMAD in the search engine and have fun. I think you will be surprised at how your body has naturally been pulling you to managing your weight and you didn't even know it. Let me know what you think when you get off the computer in a few days! LOL

Belle

0 Kudos
Sootie

I will do that.

0 Kudos
Bellegonia

Sootie,

Did you check it out?

What did you think?

0 Kudos