cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Canning has begun!

So I had EVERYTHING lined up to begin canning this weekend then my son and his wife decided to go golfing and drop off their 2 year old.

Needless to say...the canning was put off till when he napped or my hubby could entertain him, but I did manage yo put up 21 pints of what I call my Salsa/Sauce ( Pasta and pizza) mix 'smalsa'

We also have our niece here who will be a senior this year and is still sleeping. I had forgotten how much teenagers sleep! Recharging. But its has been a pleasure to have her here.

Anyway, I use this 'SMALSA' for both. But when we open a jar to use as a Salsa, I add fresh Cilantro and some lime juice.

Anyway heres pics of the process. I am planning on making zucchini relish sometime this week and pepper mustard. 

What is everyone else planning on canning this year?

IMG_2233.jpgIMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

There was another batch still in canner when I took this last picture.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
21 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

That is a lot of work but very fruitful.  I did a few pints of pickles and some beets.  It is more than I could use in a year so I give away to friends and family.  Great job.  A productive way to spend the weekend.  

Mandolinrain

I really enjoy doing it . We give a lot away as well and yes its lots of work. I have never done beets, maybe I will try that. I had a recipe for pickles that you don't process but you add everything to the jar and turn the jar every once in awhile.....They didn't turn out. I sure could use a good canning recipe for them if you care to share

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I can't find the recipe I used but this is close to it. http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/bread-and-butter-pickles-recipe/  I will keep looking.  I found it online. You can either refrigerate or heat process.  I chose heat because I don't have that much space in my refrigerator to store so many. 

Mandolinrain

Im just now getting online here tonight but I am coming back and looking at this recipe in the morning, thank you...for sending it

0 Kudos
IrishRose

I absolutely love canning things.  AND, those jars look beautiful sitting there on your counter top. 

Tomatoes are my favorite to can.  In the past, I have canned corn cut from the cob, butter beans, green beans, squash, and I made smelly old sauerkraut.  I have made strawberry jam and blackberry jelly.  Canning is the most fulfilling feeling you can experience.  It's hard, makes a mess and you have to move quickly, without any interruptions what-so-ever, but when you are looking at all those jars filled, it is such a wonderful feeling to know you did it. 

Did I tell you guys about the pickles I canned one year?  I made kosher dill pickles, although, they really were not kosher, because they were not blessed by a Rabbi.  Anyway, my brother loved kosher dill pickles, and I gave him a jar of the ones I had canned.  His eyes lit up like a child, he opened the can, reached in to grab one, and the pickle started disintegrating in his fingertips.  Oh, I was so humiliated, as something went bad wrong during that canning process.  He still will not let me live that screw-up down, and we are talking over 30 years ago when that happened.

Thanks for sharing your photos, and thanks for leading me down a good trip on memory lane with my brother.

(((((hug))))) for you!

Irish Rose   

Mandolinrain

My pickles turned out cloudy the last time I tried them. I threw them all out. Im gonna jump down and check out Jackies recipe

I have canned all kinds of jams, beans, salsa, applesauce , apple butter , tomato sauce, mustard, peppers, zucchini. I love canning  so do my kids...they love when I give it all to them . I honestly do not can as much as I used too. Oh I canned a honey clover one year and it was amazing! I should do that one again, come to think of it!

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Oh my - what is a honey clover?

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Actually, its called Spiced Honey.Wonderful in teas or on toast or pancakes or waffles.

Recipe:

I lemon- 3 cinnamon sticks,12 whole cloves-2 and 2/3 cups honey

Cut lemon into 6 thin slices-Place 2 cloves into each slice

Put slices - cinnamon sticks and honey in saucepan and bring to a boil- stir occasionally-

Place 2 slices and one cinnamon stick into a jar. Ladle honey into jars with 1/4 inch headspace.

Hot Bath for 10 minutes

Heavenly  I used the little 4oz jars for this

JACKIE1-25-15

Bread and butter pickles are easy with this recipe from SimplyCanning!  this is what I used. I thought it was very informative.  I forgot I had it in my favorites.  Good luck.  I am getting ready to put up a few more pints.