cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Canning has begun!

So I had EVERYTHING lined up to begin canning this weekend then my son and his wife decided to go golfing and drop off their 2 year old.

Needless to say...the canning was put off till when he napped or my hubby could entertain him, but I did manage yo put up 21 pints of what I call my Salsa/Sauce ( Pasta and pizza) mix 'smalsa'

We also have our niece here who will be a senior this year and is still sleeping. I had forgotten how much teenagers sleep! Recharging. But its has been a pleasure to have her here.

Anyway, I use this 'SMALSA' for both. But when we open a jar to use as a Salsa, I add fresh Cilantro and some lime juice.

Anyway heres pics of the process. I am planning on making zucchini relish sometime this week and pepper mustard. 

What is everyone else planning on canning this year?

IMG_2233.jpgIMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

There was another batch still in canner when I took this last picture.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
21 Replies
Mandolinrain

Oh I am so doing these....thank you!

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Oh, I love canning and eating bread and butter pickles.  Heinz has nothing on us bread and butter pickle canning ladies!!! 

That looks awesome! Drooling....

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

When my Mother was alive and had a garden, I canned salsa and also tomatoes and zucchini.  The last several years, I helped her freeze her cream style corn.  Lots of work but you cannot buy corn like she froze.  Just delicious!  I would give almost anything for one more of her Sunday dinners!  Thanks for bringing up good memories!

MarilynH

Yummy Missy, I've never made Salsa but my sister in law does, we pressure cooked a couple of batches of yellow and green string beans so far and we'll be doing a couple more batches this week we pressure cook our carrots too, we blanched 18 medium freezer bags of peas and I believe 9 medium freezer bags of beets so far we cook them and slice them and either nuke them when we're ready to eat them or heat them in a frying pan with butter yum, I love picked beets but Mark doesn't so I haven't made any in years we'll be cooking and freezing squash coming up too and I'll be making lady Ashburn pickles and green tomatoe chow, that's about it other than our potatoes which we'll keep in the cold room which hopefully will last for the winter again this year .

Mandolinrain

I would also like to see your pickle recipe. Your a busy gal, thats a lot of canning!

MarilynH

This is one of the recipes I used to use  can you tell this page was used alot ?

15342494694491324507210.jpg

Mandolinrain

Looks great Marilyn, the best cook books are the welled ones. I often even go thrift shopping for old cookbooks. I just sometimes 'tweet' the ingredients to make it a little healthier. That carrot relish recipe looks interesting

IrishRose

I have not even seen yellow string beans since I lived in New York.  I think they called them waxed beans.  Does that sound right?  OMG, my mind is starting to forget things.  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarilynH

You're right yellow and or green waxed beans ,we've got more than usual this year.  IrishRose