cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Is it really as bad as you think??

My anxiety seems to be getting worse as every day is a day closer to my quit date. I was just curious.. has anyone experienced the quit not being as bad as they thought it would be?? I put a lot of thought into everything and at times I find that whatever the situation is.. it may not be as terrible as I imagined.  

Tags (1)
20 Replies
Roller831

I found this site on Day 1 of my quit.  I didn't do a whole lot of planning other than to take Chantix.  I quit 2 days after that first week of Chantix and never looked back.  While I have had some difficult moments, the quit is not as bad as I imagined it would be.

I read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking.  I still remember reading that noone has died from a craving.  Think about that for a moment.  As bad as a craving may or may not be, you will live through it and come out on the other side.  

I believe the anxiety exists because you have a fear of the unknown.  You don't know what it will be like exactly.  What I can tell you is no matter what, it will always get better and nothing in the world feels as good a being an ex-smoker!

YoungAtHeart

roller hit a lot of nails on the head for you already!  Yes - I chain smoked the night before my quit date.  There were moments when it was pretty difficult, but armed with the knowledge that those moments WOULD pass whether I smoked or not really helped.  You will have good days and not-so-good days on this journey, but it IS doable.

Read all you can to prepare so you understand what you are experiencing, have your list of distractions handy and use them.

Not easy - but it IS doable.  Just take it as it comes, one hour/minute/afternoon at a time.  Don't look too far ahead.

Nancy

GyorgyiM

Recognize that you are "over processing".

Keep it simple.

"I don't smoke" (tell yourself on your quit day)

Adjust your mindset and your habits.

Make it a personal challenge....

The prize or rather your reward................is your Health, Happiness.......and your LIFE.

Miles of Smiles....

elvan

Quitting is not an event, it is a journey and there were days when I thought it wasn't as bad as I expected and others when I thought it was every bit as bad.  I prepared, I had a plan, I listed things to do instead of smoking when triggers happened, I KNEW they would not magically stop.  I came here every morning and every night and I read blogs, I commented, I asked for help and I listened to the advice I was offered.  We have ALL been where you are, there are no shortcuts and you CAN do this!

Pay attention to fellow EXers.  

Ellen

princessdeb

WereAllMadHere ...I'm entering my day 6...and i am finding this quit to be easier than I thought.  We hear horror stories about quitting all our smoking life...that causes anxiety...you are not alone with your anxiety, I had anxiety before I quit too...GOOD NEWS... I don't have anxiety now!  It's an incredible feeling not to smoke...Each day is easier.

Are you quitting cold turkey or using A medicine or NRT?

Here is a link to a video  Video Link : 2370  that has helped me calm the anxiety and get me through cravings. 

You are here and posting and reading and that is the key.

Welcome!

Deborah 6 DOF 

Lisaml

So many times, the anticipation of a perceived stressful event is much, much worse than the event itself.

please, please try to freee your mind a little. Put a more positive spin on your thoughts. You’re not giving something up, so much as you are giving yourself the opportunity to be healthy. Subtle changes in our thinking can make a world of difference. 

Barbscloud

Don't know if anyone would consider this good advice, but it worked for me as my quit date grew near.  I told myself "Just give it a try. I can always start smoking again if I choose to".   When I looked at it from this perspective, there wasn't anything to be afraid of.  You need to stop thinking about "forever".  One day at a time.

93DOF

SaraPeach

I did the same thing.

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Your brain is your most powerful tool - try to focus on the positive rather than the negative.  Let each day be a milestone in the beginning - don't focus on forever as first.  In the beginning, I looked at myself in the mirror each morning and gave myself a pep talk.  When I was having a tough day, I would get on here and blog.  I knew that I did not really want a cigarette so I knew that I would not smoke.  The people here always helped me through.  Make a plan, stick to your plan, and remember always that the little discomfort that you go through is worth it in the end.  Freedom from smoking is a wonderful thing!