cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Do you really want this?

The main reason why I never set a quit day is because it never came. So many sites suggest that you set a quit date. To me, that was a death sentence, the counting down the days until I quit. Why I came to this site is because they approached it differently. I went to at least 4 or so other sites to investigate what I was going to use for support since around my area there are no groups or sessions for smoking cessation. I was attracted because they use the behavior modification approach and it was smokers helping other smokers.

I've seen a lot of people failing lately or for that matter panicking over the thought of quitting. Let's address the failing part. I don't consider those failures. I look at them as stepping stones to get you closer to where you need to be. You see, in life, if we see ourselves repeating the same mistakes over and over again, what that is telling us is that we haven't learned from them the first time. The question of Why does this keep happening to me pops up. It may not be the exact same scenario is happening over and over again, but the underlying theme always remains the same.

What made you slip up all those other times? Let's take the labels out. What did you need that cigarette for? Why did you believe that was going to solve whatever was bothering you? Your toolbox is essentially in the beginning when you tailor your quit plan. What do you use smoking for? What times of the day are you most likely to smoke more than others? And more importantly, What are you going to do to separate from each of your triggers?

You can't make a blanket statement of well, when I'm triggered, I'm using a stress ball and use that for each and every trigger you have. You're not creating an association with, A, specific trigger, with B, action. Your brain is not separating those two or three or how many triggers you have specified. That's what I noticed when I quit and what helped me. I knew I had to basically reprogram myself into thinking and reacting differently. When I smoked, that's exactly what I did: When I'm triggered, I'm smoking for every single one...... see what I'm getting at?

When we were adolescents or even starting college for some, we started smoking for all kinds of things. Usually it was for acceptance, status, an overall boost to our morale or an imaginary buddy. Before too long we became hooked and didn't know how to stop effectively. That's really what it's all about, isn't it? We want to be successful. We have to decide within ourselves when we finally reach that crossroads and ask ourselves the question, do we really want this?

25073-Jim-Rohn-Quote-If-you-really-want-to-do-something-you-ll-find-a.jpg

19 Replies
AnnetteMM

GREAT BLOG!!!  I love this so much, because of this line:  "To me, that was a death sentence, the counting down the days until I quit."  YES!!  That's why I didn't do that, either.  I decided that I simply wouldn't buy any more.  When I ran out, that was it.  Seemed much more natural that way, with no unnecessary anxiety about it.  

TW517

I totally agree that setting a quit date only adds stress, and can make you feel like a failure if you don't make it that day.  Have seen myself and others give up on the idea of quitting for months or years because they missed that one quit date, and thought, "Oh well, it just wasn't my time".  On the other hand, I think it makes a ton of sense to put off quitting until you have had time to do a ton of research on addiction and plan your quit.  That could be days if you are retired with a lot of free time, or weeks if you have a full-time job and family responsibilities.

What really helped me also was cutting down before I took the plunge.  I was a 2 to 3 pack a day smoker, depending on the day.  When I finally decided to give it my all, I was down to 5 a day.  But that took about a month to do that and a lot of tracking my cravings on what was going on that day.  I started tracking my cigarettes actually over a year before I finally quit.  I'd start tracking and then end up chain smoking aimlessly.  it was just a vicious cycle.  I was just tired of it.  it became really more of a nuisance by the time January 25th rolled around. 

indingrl

Beautifully expressed my beloved LORI YOU LIVING A NON SMOKER LIFE OF YOUR OWN.......YAHOOOOOO FOR YOU....GOOD JOB! In living this day...ONLY.... in your most honest truth for you and sharing that experience with ME....thank you so very much for teaching ME to keep ME focused on MY OWN NON SMOKER LIFE....this day for ME....Never Take Another Puff...Ever....one moment at a time....for ME.....please keeping coming back.....you go grl.....good food for NEW thought!

elvan

I did set dates...more than one, none of them worked for long.  I just wasn't prepared well enough.  I had joined EX and I had made a plan and I thank God that I did that because when I got so sick that quitting was really no longer up to ME...I had the toolkit and I was able to pull it out and use it and those triggers I had written down were, of course, still there but I had ideas about what to do instead of smoke.  EX pulled me through and now I am past four years, the longest I have been quit since I was 17 and I am certain that this is my forever quit.  I did enough damage to myself, not going to continue that.

Great blog, as usual, Lori.

Ellen

I feel you definitely need to go through the steps in the beginning especially the tracker tool to understand when and why you smoke to understand how to retrain yourself.  Just keeping them away from your face isn't enough

BHnCA

I agree! Building my knowledge of exactly how nicotine works to KEEP me addicted basically ticked me of big time.  And tracking my urges was a mind blower. I've been in a couple other programs before and, believe me, the one run by two people who had never smoked a day in their life was a waste of time. I knew it, for sure, when one of the teachers told us she was "on a diet" and, therefore, "understood what withdrawl is like." LOL.  I remember all of us in class sitting at the tables, passing around pretzels and chips and peanuts, and laughing at what the teacher obviously couldn't understand.  At this site, in contrast, everybody GETS IT and that kind of support is helping me immensely. I blew my first quit date after about 8 days, but I started a new quit date the following day (today actually) because I don't want to EVER go thru what I did the first 3 days of my first quit. It was pure torture and I can't afford to be chewing any more pencils in half! 

Image result for chew a pencil

How cute is this?

BHnCA

HAH! That's aboug what I looked like, wrinkles and all. I love this. Thanks for posting it.