cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

toni-brindisi

To do this successfully...you really have to want it.

If I were white knuckling this I would be smoking. However, I am not freaking out, I am doing very well. I believe that I was totally ready to quit, had a plan to quit, thought out the process, found this and other web sites, got help from my doctor, and the support of my friends. If you have a nicotine anonymous meeting in your area, attend it. To be successful you have to really want to be free from the addiction, the cost, the mess, the smell, the burn holes, the dirty ashtrays, the fear of disease... smoking a cigarette delievers nicotine to the brain, in addition to filling our lungs with all kinds of dangerous poisons. If you can't quit cold turkey, then get nicotine in the gum or a lozenge but if you think you can continue to smoke without damaging your lungs, and other organs, you are kidding yourself. I have been an ostrich about smoking for many years. But when my doctor said I had chronic bronchitis from smoking, that may develop into COPD, emphysema and lung cancer, I had to take a look at my behavior. There are millions more non-smokers than there are smokers. They live happily without cigarettes in their lives, and so can we. But you have to want it. You have to want it more than you want that cigarette.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Toni and Jimmy - Glad to hear you two are hangin with this. I have quit once before...didn't smoke for over ten years. It is possible... I am coming to the end of day 2 and doing okay.

The last time I quit noticed a lot of relief after day 3!!! It gets easier.

While I think I am doing okay, there have been a couple of tricky moments.

I started to play this little game in my head that goes something like this. "Oh this easy, I am doing it cold turkey and see how easy it is...I know I can do it....so why today? Why not go to the store and buy another pack? Why not quit tomorrow?"

That is the demon of this addiction!!!! I call it the "I can always quit tomorrow...KILLER."

That little voice will kill us if we keep listening.

Hang tough!!
0 Kudos
toni-brindisi

I make not smoking my new "high". It is kinda a game for me too. When I tell people who don't smoke that I quit they are like so what. ...but to us addicts it is huge! Today I think about how I don't have ash stains on my black slacks and that my co-workers cannot smell the smoke on me...my skin is looking brighter too. My mouth doesn't have that nasty taste...and the challenge to me is to not gain any weight so it motivates me to work out harder at the gym, walk my dogs more. I am not coughing up as much junk either when climbing the steep hills around my house. I take alot of time to do my hair and makeup and look feminie at all times...then I suck on a cigarette and ruin it all....day 10 for me and doing very well because this is what I really want!
0 Kudos
toni-brindisi

this may be a weird comparison but the last time I went to jail for using drugs I was totally prepared to go, was done using dope but did not know how to stop, and told my holding cell mates who had not been to jail before (and were crying), what to expect. the last time was the easiest time. kicking dope was hard. however, it prepared me in many ways for this big quit...I was totally prepared to withdrw, jones, and romance cigarettes...want them, need them, miss them...but guess what. this is so f-ing easy I am scared. when the hell is the bad part coming...or did I just get the biggest girft of my life from a power greater than myself?
0 Kudos
kim20

Toni, I also agree with being prepared. I have been a smoker for 10 years now, and am currently on day 4 smoke free. I had tried to quit in the past and never made it very far. This time I think will be different because I really want it FOR ME, and have been fortunate enough to have a strong support system in place this time. Good luck and hope its still going ok.
0 Kudos

Oh my gosh...it was funny to read where you said you "play this little game in your head", because I've done a similar thing. My game is slightly different however.

When trying to quit in the past, I have been able to NOT go to the store and buy them...mainly because I'm almost always around someone who I can bum one from. So I'll go a day or so without buying them, and start to think, yeah I don't smoke. (Even though I am, just smoking other people's!) Then, I will buy a pack, but I'll tell myself it is to replace my friend's pack that I smoked from. Of course then I smoke them, and share them with that friend, and in my head, I'm not buying them for me!

Bizarre logic, I know.

Stay strong!
0 Kudos