cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Dosing cats with Metronidazole?

Anybody had to dose their cat with liquid Metronidazole?  Just did it with one of ours and she foamed at the mouth, fought tooth and nail and it was a lousy experience all the way around.  And I'm supposed to do this for ten days.  OMG!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I feel for you.  Seriously.

0 Kudos
elvan

So sorry, I have never used it.  Ask vet if they have suggestions.

0 Kudos
missellen

Yikes!  I didn't even know they gave Flagyl to cats!  Sounds like the foaming is a side effect from it tasting so awful:

What are the side effects of metronidazole in cats?
Other possible side effects of metronidazole use in dogs and cats include:
  • Allergic reaction (labored breathing, hives, etc.)
  • Drooling and gagging (the drug is very bitter)
  • Vomiting.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Lethargy.
  • Blood in the urine, or dark urine.
  • Liver damage.

Maybe ask your vet about Tiny Tabs: Metronidazole Tiny Tabs, Wedgewood Pet Rx 

I had to give my one cat liquid antibiotics and it was such a terrible experience for him and us, that from then on I requested either a shot or a pill.  At least with a pill I was able to use a pill pocket or hide in some tuna.  Trying to get a liquid down with that dropper was just ridiculous.

YoungAtHeart

My Irish Setter used to do the foaming mouth trick if his Heartworm medicine came out of the braunsweiger (sic) ball!

I think the idea is to put the dropper in the side of the mouth.  But - after the first dose, I never found a way - and still have some scars to prove it!  My cat friend used to wrap them in a towel and kneel with them in between her legs and literally SIT on them to give them medication.  Ah, no!

Sorry - I like the suggestion to get it in pill form and then you can try to hide it in something they like.

Good luck!!!

Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Giulia‌ I specifically requested pills for Bijou and she is getting FIVE a day for now, it is so much easier to dose and to make sure she really got the medication, after today, she is down to 1 a day!!  Liquids are difficult to give to cats...I am so sorry...I have had cats who fought me tooth and nail over any medications...Binx (our other cat) fights like a wildcat if he is given meds...he knocked me off the bed last year and took the television with me, I was black and blue from the shoulder to my foot on one side AND I had to buy a damn television.  I was NOT happy.  He is having surgery tomorrow and the vet said she will be sending him home with pain medication...I am not giving it, my husband can get it down him.

0 Kudos
Kimshine

Ellen,

I hope your Binx is doing well!

0 Kudos
elvan

Kimshine‌ Binx is doing fine, the thing they took off his chin is HUGE and they gave it to me in formalin.  He has pain medication for the next two days but he doesn't know he is in pain.  He was supposed to wear a cone of shame but there was no way that was going to happen...he was nearly killing himself trying to get it off.  His stitches are intact, he has four of them.  He is going to be fine.  Bijou still walks around like a drunk but she plays, she eats, she seems to be falling down less (or else I am in denial)...I SO want them to be okay. 

Thanks for asking.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Kimshine

I'm so glad to hear your cats are fairing well these days! What is the growth they took off his chin? Did they send any of it to Path?

There is no way to have a cat wear a cone, they are much to dignified! LOL

Ellen don't worry yourself over Bijou, if she is having a quality life then don't sweat it. You will know if she's not ok. You're not in denial.

Happy Friday!!

Kim

0 Kudos
elvan

Kimshine‌ I just saw this comment of yours from two months ago.  Bijou is still with us, she has good days and bad days...some days she actually sort of runs but most days she has trouble getting around.  Amazingly, she can jump from the floor onto my bed...she cannot get down from any height, she can't support herself.  She plays like crazy in the evening and in the mornings, she wakes me up by licking and biting my hand.  Sometimes, she wants me to feed her and other times, she just wants me to put her on the floor so she can use the litter box.  There are days when she does not make it all the way in to the litter box and those are not my favorite mornings but that's what soap and water are for.  She is still on the prednisone, I stopped the phenobarb because I don't think she is having seizures.  I have it should she have them but I don't think so.

They did not send the growth out that they removed from Binx's chin...it would have been another $150 and I could not afford it.  The vet said she was pretty sure it was a keratosis and she did not think it was malignant.  So far, there is no sign of it returning and it has healed over so well that it's hard to tell where it was.  Our youngest daughter was here for a visit a month and a half ago and I had sent her a photo of it...she asked me to PLEASE put it somewhere where she would not see it because she had nightmares over it after I sent the photo, LOL.  It IS pretty ugly.

Thanks for the support.

Ellen

0 Kudos