cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

emilyt123078

Ever feel like you want to live in a cave?

I have moments when I'm with my MUCH loved friends or family and I have an episode of the nasties, quite unexpectedly. i caught myself the other day, but I got to thinking that maybe I should just live in a cave until I'm back to normalville. Anyone ever feel like they have to remove themselves until they resemble that of a human being?

Honestly, I have no intention of being grumpy, but out of nowhere, I'll say something that one could define as passive aggressive and I leave feeling like I walked a mile then reverted back a few. 

20 Replies
elvan

Absolutely...there were many times when I was starting my quit that I was convinced that somehow the world had become overrun with stupid people.  I don't have a lot of use for stupid people because you can't change stupid.  I was a very impatient person, not that I have EVER been the most patient person BUT it seemed that all of my reactions and behaviors were intensified.  Did I want to live in a cave?  No, I wanted everyone ELSE to live in a cave, LOL.  It gets better but beware, there are STILL stupid people out there and many of them DRIVE.

Ellen

emilyt123078

Ellen! LOL.. You're a treasure. I know it will get better, but dang, as if feeling like this isn't enough, let's throw in some crazy anger.

anaussiemom

Sometimes I just want to leave the country forever.

0 Kudos
desiree465

I like the term "episode of the nasties". That would happen to me a lot in the beginning of my quit and still does every so often. As long as you apologize to your loved ones they are usually pretty forgiving. I had to apologize a lot in the beginning lol. 

emilyt123078

Thanks everyone. Great advice and yes, apologize up front. I will. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Apologize in advance!  You might include the fact that, once you are through this phase, they will have you around a lot longer now that you've quit.

I told my daughters I didn't feel as though I went through that phase and their rolling eyes advised me differently!

You WILL be back to yourself.  Ask for everyone's patience!

Nancy

DLHaffner

YES!  I freaked out about not having trash bags on an epic scale.  I'm normally super mellow and yelled for my husband and just lost it...HOW COULD WE BE OUT OF TRASH BAGS?!!?  It took me about an hour to realize I was being a freak.  It happens.  I'm human.  Sometimes I fail at appropriate life responses.  I look at my mini-meltdowns as a reminder as to how harmful nicotine was to my mind and body.  At 52 days of freedom, I'm still adjusting to not having nicotine...that's crazy!  If I stopped drinking orange juice tomorrow...it wouldn't still be affecting me in 52 days.  I probably wouldn't even miss it. 

0 Kudos
TW517

For as long as I could remember, I had a tall glass of OJ in the morning and a tall glass of V8 with lunch.  Then I had an ulcer about 10 years ago, and doctor made me give up both.  I don't think I yelled at anyone, but I sure was in a lousy mood for months!  I still miss both .  He also wanted me to give up coffee.  I compromised and gave up 2 out of 3

0 Kudos
emilyt123078

Tom, I wouldn't give up coffee either.