cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bdwallhau

27 years. Can I do this?

I’m 45. I’ve smoked for 27 years. I’m a heavy smoker. I’m  so ashamed of this habit and the control it has over my life. I’ve chosen a quit date 13 days from now. Because I’m a private smoker (never smoke around another person), very few people know I’m a smoker. That means I don’t have many support people (husband and sister only). On the upside, it also means no one ever smokes around me. So, I won’t have the issue of people smoking around me as I try to quit.  But I could sure use another support person, maybe someone else who’s on this journey? 

I plan to use nicotine gum along with a support community.  I know this is the fight of my life. I’m afraid, but hopeful. 

Any my tips you can share are welcome. I’ve been perusing the resources here, and will continue to do so. I so want this. I so hope I can do it. 

Thanks for listening. — Dawn

Tags (1)
22 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome EX you have come to the right place.  The answer to your first quit is YES you can do this because quitting smoking is doable.  You have to believe that you can.  It takes work and commitment with an attitude of no matter what is going on in your life that you will not use it as an EXcuse to smoke. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started.

Bdwallhau

Thank you, Jackie. I'll add these to my list of resources to read this week. I appreciate your note and your suggestions!

desiree465

Good for you Dawn! I smoked for 22 years. I was a pack a day for the last 2 of those years which is one of the reasons I decided to quit. This site has been so helpful. You are doing the right thing by reading up on things before you quit. I actually would be on this site and smoking. That sounds horrible but that's what addiction does. I have tried to quit in the past with no success. I am now at 1 month and a week smoke free! I used the patch and I come on this site as often as I need to. I like to vent when I am having a withdraw symptom, I like to read up on how everyone else is doing, and I like to read any new articles people post. The support on this site is amazing. No one will shame you for how you feel. They only offer support. Honestly I've never been on social site where the people weren't constantly correcting you or giving a negative opinion about you feel. So come on this site as often as you can. You won't believe how helpful it can be. 

Bdwallhau

I'm so happy for you, Desiree, and for your smoke-free 5 weeks or so. Congratulations! I'm also reassured to hear that you've found this site to be positive and supportive. We all need that while going through this process! Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement. I am nervous, but I so want this.

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

Hi Dawn welcome to EX

You will find you have tons of support here if/when you need it.  It is a good thing that most people don't smoke around you or don't know if you do or don't smoke. Feel free to tell then that you "just quit" next time you see them and they will more then likely offer words of encouragement to that fact. I have had a couple of people who didn't know I smoked find out about my quitting and just a simple line of encouragement did give me a boost. Learning about the nicotine addiction did help me with my quit and I even live with two smokers. At times it will seem impossible or that you can have just one, but promise yourself that once you quit you are done and you don't do that anymore.

You can quit and say good bye to the not so nice friend in nicotine even after 27 years

Tabbie

0 Kudos
Bdwallhau

Tabbie, I thought I responded to you, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Thank you for your kind words, and congratulations on your success! 

Mortalzeus

Hi Dawn and welcome to our community.  I can feel your passion to quit and I will be looking forward to reading your thoughts and insights when your “Journey” begins

True, this may be the “Fight of Your Life”, but it is also the “Fight for Your Life” and those around you!  However, rest assured that everyone here is battling just like you every second, minute, and hour of every day.  Remain hopeful, but take action and “Embrace the Journey.” 

Visit often and share when you can.  Something beautiful is about to begin, FREEDOM

Darren

Bdwallhau

Wonderfully put, Darren. Thank you!

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX...please look at this as a journey and not a battle...one day at a time or as OldBones-Larry‌ says, "One step and then another will get you to where you want to be."  I smoked for 47 years and like you, I very much wanted to quit and I was ashamed of my addiction.  I have been smoke free for over four years now, thanks in large part to this site, the people here and the support and education I have received.  I agree with JACKIE1-25-15‌ that education is a HUGE part of the success of a quit.  I also think that commitment and support are very important.  We cannot give you the commitment, that's up to you but everything else is here on this site.  There are some blogs you might find helpful that were written by other members, one is by JonesCarpeDiem

/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months another is by YoungAtHeart‌ For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)  There are many more and there is a group for newbies as well as blogs to help https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17127-new-quitters-check-in  Remember that everyone here has been exactly where you are, we all had a first day and we all had to work at keeping our quits.  We all want you to be successful.

Again, welcome.

Ellen