cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Coughing

Today my doctor informed me that I will begin to cough longer I stay away from cigarette.

The way I understood as the tar is released in the lungs the hairs in the lungs would be able to sweep the debris out of the lung.  

Does the coughing lead to pneumonia?

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Not that I know of, but I'm not a doctor. I think most of us do start coughing when we quit. For me however, it was a lot less coughing then It was doing before I quit, mainly because I had a bad cough already when I quit. As soon as I cut down it got better and then when I quit, I had a bit of a cough again. 

I wouldn't worry to much about pneumonia unless there are other symptoms that go with it. Thomas3.20.2010‌ told me that big tobacco puts cough suppressants into the tobacco during the process that they use to - well, keep us addicted.

And from what I've read, those "hairs" in the lungs do become unclogged and begin to help the lungs clear. 

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos
elvan

I coughed at first as my lungs made every effort to clean out.  I RARELY cough now, unless I inhale a bug, long story.  I don't cough like I did when I smoked or like I did right after I quit.

As ugly as it was, I found the bug story to be quite - er - different

0 Kudos
elvan

I went swimming in that pool again today and I kept my mouth shut...creepiest thing ever.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I never coughed after I quit (and before only at the end of every good laugh!) - so I am not a good gauge.  I hope I cleared it out another way, though!

0 Kudos
elvan

I FORGOT that laughing one, that was terrible, I would wheeze and gasp and cough as I attempted to laugh.

0 Kudos
dwwms

I never really had the smoker's cough - certainly not the hacking that I've known plenty to do first thing in the morning (including my father). I'm quit now for 4+ months and I do have a cough from time to time - I look at it as a "healing" cough. I really don't think it would lead to pneumonia (but if it becomes too severe - do go see the doctor).

Doug

0 Kudos
jbliesmer

I never coughed when I was a smoker or after I quit. In fact I posted her about a week in wondering when my cough would start.

I think everyone varies.

But as a general rule a cough does not lead to pneumonia. You get pneumonia from germs and bacteria.

~Jaime 

96 DOF

elvan

Thanks for answering that, I realized last night that I never addressed the pneumonia question.  I do not think that, as a general rule, people cough more after they quit smoking but then again maybe that has just not been my experience.

0 Kudos