cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kindofodd

Cough cough

My coworker and I decided to quit together. She started hacking up the nastiness from her lungs after like 48 hours (and she's been cheating!). It's been 10 days for me and I'm still not coughing. I know it's a weird thing to be jealous of but I want this crap out of me too! Isn't it strange to NOT to be coughing?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Roj

It’s day 9 for me and I seemed to cough more when I smoked...I have coughed up a few nasties but not much, to be honest I expected to be hacking up my lungs...oh well, kinda glad I’m not...congrats on your freedom

kindofodd

Glad I'm not alone.

And congrats to you as well! Not smoking looks good on you

avian3

I never had any congestion from day one. Nothing to cough up and I smoked 37 years. I assume all the nastiness left my body from a different area.

YoungAtHeart

Just as everyone's body chemistry is different, all symptoms of body cleansing after quitting are, as well.  I never coughed, either - be assured your body is working to clean itself up in the background in other ways!

marciem

I STOPPED coughing almost immediately after quitting, and I smoked (and coughed) a lot for a very long time.  

I've read that some folks just expel the "leftovers" in their lungs via the cilia that come back to life after we quit, rather than coughing it up, so I'm assuming that's the way it went for me.  It might be for you, also   .

elvan

I coughed when I smoked, I quit when I COULDN'T cough because I couldn't get enough air in to cough.  I have coughed up mucous on previous quits.  I was too sick when I quit this time and it has been over 5 1/2 years.  If your smoke buddy is cheating, she could be coughing because of that.  Not everyone goes through the same thing.

Ellen

MarilynH

I never coughed either once I quit BUT I sure did when I smoked congratulations on your 10 stupendous Smokefree days and counting WTG YAY for your glorious entrance into the DDC - Double Digit Club YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come.....

sweetplt

I think everyone is different....I never coughed when I smoked, like many do...however, when I quit...omg...it was horrible for months...You may not cough...Congratulations on 10 days Quit...super....Happy Saturday ~ Colleen 313 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I didn't cough when I quit either.  Sounds like quite a few of us didn't.  Congrats on 10 days  and welcome to the Double Digit Club.

Barb

0 Kudos