cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Cough?

I had a fairly bad (but productive) cough the first 2 weeks of my quit.  It has very gradually dissipated until about a week ago, when it all but disappeared.  Now yesterday and today (week 12 of my quit), I've had 3 terrible dry coughing spells with a feeling like something is stuck in my throat.  Even though I've had nothing to eat or drink.  They are pretty violent.  I've had people come from 3 offices down to check on me.

I know, I know.... I should call my doctor.  And I will if it persists.  Just curious if anyone else had this?  Or maybe it's not related to smoking/non-smoking at all.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Diannnnn

Does water help? I have had a couple of times when I have felt something in my throat, but it seemed to go away with water. I figured it was just sinus related since that seems to be a constant thing for me now days. If it isn't easily relieved or gets worse, I'd check with the Dr.

TW517

Not positive if water helps.  What little I can get down during the coughing fit does seem to help a bit, but the whole episode is over in about a minute.

0 Kudos
elvan

I have had that happen but I have been able to trace it back either to swallowing saliva "down the wrong pipe" or two particularly disgusting times recently when I inhaled bugs.  I coughed until I almost vomited but it was more the idea of a bug being in my throat or lungs than anything else.  I HAVE had to use my rescue inhaler to settle things down a couple of times, mostly because I was scaring other people because I sounded so dramatic.  It FEELS dramatic.  You are right that if it doesn't settle, you should see someone.

Ellen

Roller831

elvan‌ Yuck on the inhaling bugs!  I guess it is better than smoke, but YUCK (as I was eating my lunch while reading this)!

elvan

Sorry, I really did nearly vomit, I SO wanted to cough out the bugs that I could not stop.

0 Kudos
TW517

Definitely not saliva or bugs.  It just happens out of the blue.  Side note - I rode a motorcycle for years and also used to tour on my bicycle.  I've swallowed way more bugs than I care to remember.  You never get used to it

0 Kudos
elvan

I was coming up out of an outdoor pool and taking a nice deep breath...I have no idea what kind of bugs they were, it was CREEPY!

I need to hear more about the bugs. Class? Body type? Number of legs uneaten.  🙂

sorry. I missed your last answer.

0 Kudos