cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JessicaF

How did you know it was your final quit?

How did you know this was it? How long into your quit did it take you to realize it? Were you ever wrong in believing this was your final quit? 

26 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Unlike most, this was my first and only quit.  The first days were so difficult, I knew I had to MAKE it my final quit because, knowing how lousy it was, I was pretty sure I would never be able to make myself do it again if I failed.

I don't think I will be in the majority on this - but it is what it is!!!

Nancy

JessicaF

Thanks Nancy! So you knew from the beginning, you think? 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

After the first week, pretty much - yes.  I just made up my mind I was not going to smoke again NO MATTER WHAT and held myself to it.

Nancy

0 Kudos
NewMe

Devil's advocate here as opposed to YoungAtHeart . I really didn't know for months and months into this one. I had tried and failed so many times prior to this. And even though this quit was in response to a nurse telling me prior to a surgery "so you know you've had a heart attack at some point, don't you?". A test showed that I had, but that didn't stop me from going about business as usual. Anyhow, I'm not sure when I knew, it was a gradual process of gaining information from coming here and learning from those who went before me. And sticking to the commitment of NOPE, even when you are doubting the advice of others. Eventually, you come to understand the true nature of the addiction, and also to accept what harm smoking does to your body. Just give it time. This really is a journey, not a race.

Roller831

I only quit one time before and it lasted 5 years.  I knew this would be my final quit before I quit because I had come to realize I didn't want to EVER do this again!  I read and read and read prior to quitting which helped me realize this fact. I happened to stumble onto this site the day of my quit when looking for support online!  

I keep focusing on the positives of quitting and keep reading and re-reading Alan Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking.  It has helped a lot in addition to the supposed everyone provides here.

So far, I am not wrong about this being my final quit.  Life is better.  I am free.  I don't worry about when, where, or how I will be able to smoke.  I have more time (because I am not isolated and having a cigarette).

I have come to realize to keep this quit precious and respect it.  

It is hard to put into words as it is a feeling that I have.  A sense of being.  I am an EX-smoker.  I feel being an EX-smoker is way better than a NON-smoker because NON-smokers have no clue what is entailed in quitting.  Quitting is hard and I am currently accomplishing something very hard.  THAT is truly something to be proud of and something I don't ever want to give up!

JessicaF

Love this. Our stories seem very similar  

I quit one time too.

I knew for sure on day 126

JessicaF

Anything significannt about that day JonesCarpeDiem‌ ? 

I was driving to a job I had smoked on and reached for a ghost pack on my truck seat and it made me laugh. I knew I was done.