cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JessicaF

How did you know it was your final quit?

How did you know this was it? How long into your quit did it take you to realize it? Were you ever wrong in believing this was your final quit? 

26 Replies
Barbara145

I smoked for 52 years.  I had tried to quit multiple times.  The longest quit was 3 months.  I had wanted them all to be my final quit.  After about 2 weeks I thought maybe I can do this forever.  I was not entirely certain for awhile.  I just kept coming here.  This site and the constant loving support made all the difference.  It will soon be 4 years and I love it. 

I wasn't 100% convinced until I had surpassed my longest previous "quit." That was One Year. I felt entirely different at one Year this quit because I knew that I would feel compelled from time to time throughout my lifetime but also that I had the tools and skills to overcome the relapse traps and protect my Quit Journey for LIFE!

Jennifer-Quit

When the roller coaster ride of the beginning finally slowed down and evened out - I told myself that I never have to go thru that again.  That is when I knew.

Giulia

I have been quit for over 11 years now.  I have never said "this is my final quit."  Why?  Because I've seen too many quitters with more years than that - relapse.  Only when I die smoke free will I know this is my forever quit.  lol  For me there's a bit of presumption and a bit of arrogance in the statement.  I know myself pretty well and thus I know my vulnerability to this addiction.  And I can't assume nor presume anything.  As long as any desire for a cigarette exists - the simplest of a passing "gee it would be nice to have one right now" I can't say for a fact "this is my final quit."  For if we still want one, we're still vulnerable.  And thus we must protect the jewel of our freedom.

vanlil

I feel the same way Giulia - Once I went 1-1/2 yrs. and then back to smoking.  Final Quit - I must remember it is the 1st. one that will get me.

Thanks for your posting.

Lillian (vanlil)

elvan

JessicaF  I quit for every pregnancy and I had some short term quits that I lost other than those.  This time, I got really sick and I knew it was my last chance.  My doc wanted to admit me to ICU and I said no...I wanted to at least try to take care of myself at home. It was a dangerous decision but I still wanted to try.  I had two antibiotics, three inhalers, a nebulizer, gallons of orange juice, and a vaporizer.  It was really terrifying...I could not get enough breath IN to cough effectively, I could not speak without gasping for breath.  I saw the looks on the faces of my husband and my son and they were completely terrified and helpless.  I had been sick before, had pneumonia more than once but this was different.  I really was not sure I would get better.  I knew that if I kept smoking, there was no chance that I would recover completely or be able to breathe like a "normal" person.  I have COPD, I am sure I had it for quite some time before that fateful exacerbation, the only way I can describe how I felt is to say that it felt like I had a plastic bag tied over my head.  I know that I am likely to die from some smoking related damage I have done but I choose not to do MORE and I choose not to expedite my departure.  I do not want to smoke, I do not want to feel like a pariah, I do not want others to see me flaunting my ignorance.  I was an RN for many years, I flaunted it that entire time by thinking I was immune to what I was seeing.  COPD, lung cancer, premature heart attacks, strokes, mouth cancer, throat cancer...the list goes on.  I had a couple of huge challenges after I quit...the first one was on my ten month anniversary when my house burned down and along with all of the things we lost, our three beloved cats died of smoke inhalation in the upstairs bedroom where they were trapped.  Even NOW, I cry when I think of that.  I LOVED them with all of my heart...I had NO desire to smoke.  The people on this site held me up and got me through it.  I knew I could not bring them back by smoking.  A year later...I had to have both of my upper lobes removed because of the damage smoking had done.  It was a horrendous surgery, my surgeon told me that a large percentage of patients who have that surgery go back to smoking afterwards because it is easier for them to breathe.  I told her that I would NOT be one of them...I know she didn't quite believe me but I know I won't do that to my family again.  I say it all the time, smoking does nothing FOR you, it does lots TO you.  I have the scars to prove it.  I am also short of breath with the least bit of exertion.  I work out, I eat better than I ever have, and I do what I can to build my lung capacity...I hope it's enough to keep me around for a while.  If not, I hope someone learns something from MY experience.

Best,

Ellen

EleanorRigby

If you get up every day and promise yourself and us that  you won't smoke today it will be physically impossible to relapse.  One day at a time, everyday, just pledge to not smoke.  I smoked almost 50 years and this is really the only full blown attempt I made to quit. I am on day 408.   I think the people who have real long term success are those who are deeply committed and determined and stubborn in a way... stubborn in that they won't give in to the nicodemon no matter what.  

TW517

Excellent question, and fascinating discussion!  I can't imagine the circumstances that would cause me to smoke again.  But as Giulia says, I suppose you never know for sure. 

bonniebee

I had tried numerous times to quit so it has taken awhile for me to believe it is my final and what some here call their "forever Quits " I have 907 DOF ....2 1/2 years and Most days I believe this is it but then another day hits me that is more difficult and I have doubts . I have always thought of my quit as One Day At A Time and I am almost afraid of Jinxing myself if I were to call it my final or forever quit . 

I  think it is wise in the beginning to take it a day at a time unless like Nancy you just " Know  "! The first time I ever quit I quit cold turkey and thought It was for good because it was the hardest thing I had ever been through but 3 months  later I relapsed by taking that one puff then 2 and you how that story goes !

One day at a time I am 907 days an Ex-Smoker !

JessicaF

Damn that one puff! 

0 Kudos