cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Is it strange not to want to keep count?

I'm not sure how I feel about counting the smoke free days.  I almost feel that I jinx myself as I have gotten this far in (albeit only 9 days) and caved.  I know I am enjoying not smoking.  Breathing better, feeling healthier, not worrying about when I can smoke my next cigarette, not worrying about running out of cigarettes, etc.  My list goes beyond that.  I know that if I continue to do what I do I can be smoke free, so I am conflicted about counting the days.  I will always know the day I quit and, hopefully, a year from June 1st I will be able to say I have been smoke free for a year, but now I feel that it triggers me.  Is that strange?  Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

-Michelle

22 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

You need to do what feels right for you - but in my experience I get so excited - even now after more than 3 years - when I reach a milestone.  

YoungAtHeart

Michelle,

Everyone is different, every quit is different, as well.  The only thing you need to worry about is how YOU feel - and if you don't want to count, then don't!!!  You can just count every day as another day WON if you want - this is YOUR quit! 

(if you have entered your quit date on this site, a count of days will be tallied in case you are ever interested.  It will be under "My Quit Plan" upper right).

More than a week of days is GREAT!  Keep at it!

Nancy

MichelleDiane

Thanks for the feedback Nancy.  I believe you summed it up nicely.  Part of the success so far has been keeping it in the day.  If I'm really struggling I keep it to the moment.  I am going to adopt the "Another day WON".  That works for me.

-Michelle

Sootie

As Jennifer said......whatever works for you. I did not "count days" with a count down (or up?) clock as many do.......I just hate to see a clock ticking days away----whether for a good or bad thing. See? We are all different in many ways. I certainly did know I was about a week....about three months and I certainly knew the VERY DAY I quit so that I could check my number of days at any time.......plus, being a member here the site will count days for you and you can check anytime you feel like it. I certainly loved celebrating my year (s) milestones and so will you! But as far as day by day....do whatever makes you happy.

MichelleDiane

Thanks Sootie.  Appreciate your feedback.  It's re-affirming

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

It's the forever quit that really counts.  After a while you will loose track of the days and have to check to see how many days.   It is all good, whatever makes you happy as long as you are free. 

MichelleDiane

Thanks for taking time to support me and give me feedback.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Whatever works for you to keep you being an EX!  There was a time, maybe 2-3 months into my quit when I felt I needed to step away, and being here was the only reminder I no longer smoke.  And I tried to, for a little while, until I missed the company, the daily smile shared, or the daily struggle shared, it all made it easier for me.

And yes, there will be a time, when you will lose the count (like me today, let me check: oh, I have a good number 455 DOFs), I have to check it if I say the pledge or join the train.

Congrats for making it 9 days into your quit, you seem to be a happy quitter, seeing the "half-full" glass, good for you, the more you see the benefits, the easier your quit it.

Good for you, happy quitter!

MichelleDiane

Thanks

0 Kudos