cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

t1wells

Quit After 20+ Years

I am using the becomeanex.org site to stop my nasty habit. My quit date is 02/23/10 and I am doing it for my health and my family, not to mention the overwhelming expenses. I'm 40 and know that smoking is aging me beyond what nature intended. I truly love to smoke but I have to stop. How can I tell my 15 and 16 year olds to never smoke when that is all they have ever seen me do. I have this beautiful granddaughter that is 9 months from my 23 year old (who also smokes) and I don't want her biggest memory of  me being the way that I smelled like smoke.

0 Kudos
128 Replies
coldturkey

I am 55 my wife 50 and our qiut date is 1/31/10 We smoke 1 1/2 - 2 pks per day ea we have cut back to 1/2 pk per day ea. We have tried several times in the past and failed. I am going cold turkey my wife is usiing the patch. I have really high hopes of quitting this time. I feel more determination this time then I ever have before so I hope thats a good thing. Smoking is without a doubt a terrible habbit. When I started smoking 1965/66 I had no idea what I was doing and the bad things smoking was going to do to my life. Today kids are lucky they have all the info and tools needed not to smoke at all. I have two daughters and several nephews and nieces and only one smoker out of all of them unforunately that is my yougest daughter. Hopefully she will see the light. The one good thing is she doesn't smoke in her house because she has 3 kids. I've told she has already smoked around her kids when she was pregnant.. Good luck and any help or suggestionis we can throw at each other hopefully willl help. Even if I slip and smoke again I will set a new quit date the minute I realize I failed that will be my new quit date.

0 Kudos
t1wells

I really believe that everytime I have tried to quit in the past is leading me up to this time working. I've lived my life overcoming so much but this seems to be the one thing I have the hardest with. It sometimes overwhelms me that I haven't been able to quit. My husband doesn't smoke and never has so I know that he can't understand why it isn't just as easy as saying "I'm not going to die if I quit" but it definitely hasn't been that easy for me. I remember as a little girl I would see my dad smoke and think "I can't wait to get older so I can smoke too". That sounds pathetic, I know, but I guess thats one of the reasons why it is so difficult for me. I like the way this website gives little things that you can do to start breaking the cycle without stipping me of my smokes immediately. I'm really going to start getting up every morning and waiting until after my first cup of coffee to have a smoke. Doesn't seem to unbearable. Good luck, I look forward to chatting with you.

0 Kudos
sha14

My quit date is 01/25/10. Today I have just came to realize I have been smoking for 16 year's, What did it really do for me?I need to do this for MYSELF and my kids just need the help and support to complete this big mission. And I know you shouldn't be around people who smoke but what if there your spouse .lol 

0 Kudos
t1wells

I am so thankful to have the few that have joined, join. I look at what each one is writing and feel more and more confident that we can do this. I know that the 26 years that I've been smoking have flown by, and your right, where did it get me? I want this so badly but my mind keeps telling me how much I enjoy each smoke break. Let's see how it goes. I'm looking forward to getting up on Monday morning and instead of instantly lighting up, waiting until my husband leaves for work until I have my first of the day. It's only about a half an hour difference but it'll be a start.

0 Kudos
rhondahon

I am a single mother of a nine yr old daughter. I have severe health problems and really need to quit. I have smoked since I was twelve. I always have hid it from my parents and I still do. My quit date is February 1st. I have tried to quit several times before and I always talked myself into smoking just one more. The one more doesn't stop.I believe this time will be better. I am going about it all different. I have joined this website and a few others for support.

0 Kudos
t1wells

Looks like so far, so good. We all have the right attitude. Can we stick together and get through this? I know that it'll be the battle of my life but I'd rather it be a battle of my life than the battle for my life.

0 Kudos
pumpkin6689

I just signed up today after I decided that I seriously need to quit smoking.    I started this morning with writing down what time it was each time I lit a cigarette and it seems to be working.   I have only smoked 9 cigarettes all day today where on a normal Saturday home all day I would go through atleast a pack if not more.     I have not yet set a quit date since I just joined and have been looking over everything on the website.    I am apprehensive about taking medication or wearing the patch/chewing gum to help me quit or just go cold turkey???        I am also very fearful of gaining a lot of weight.   

Wishing all of you the best of luck

0 Kudos
gary_n_clee

Just joined today and not getting the warm and fuzzy yet about quitting. My husband and I are doing this together -he is all for it yet I feel bitter because I love smoking but I know I need to stop. I am 37 and have smoking since the age of 12. We will be starting Chantrix next week with a quit date of Jan 30th.

Good luck to you all 🙂

0 Kudos
forever-free

I have tried to quit a gazilon times.  I have COPD and have smoked for close to 40 years.  But I now work at a hospital in the OR and get ribbed every time I go outside to have a smoke, which is only 3 times in a 10 hr day at work.  I love to smoke but I know I will die soon if I don't quit!  I started today writing down when I smoked and how I felt Ouch....  I pray that this will work this time and it sure is nice to read that everyone is sick of the cost, smell, aging, and health problems we have punished ourselves with by smoking.  I remember when they handed out Free smokes that came in 2 or 3 in a box.  My quit date is 1/27/2010, Please send prayers I know I will need them!  Best of luck to you all....

0 Kudos