cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

t1wells

Quit After 20+ Years

I am using the becomeanex.org site to stop my nasty habit. My quit date is 02/23/10 and I am doing it for my health and my family, not to mention the overwhelming expenses. I'm 40 and know that smoking is aging me beyond what nature intended. I truly love to smoke but I have to stop. How can I tell my 15 and 16 year olds to never smoke when that is all they have ever seen me do. I have this beautiful granddaughter that is 9 months from my 23 year old (who also smokes) and I don't want her biggest memory of  me being the way that I smelled like smoke.

0 Kudos
128 Replies
lois2

I am so proud of you Ali you can do this, i hope you feel better, i am proud of all of us it is a hard job, GOD help us all, i am in one of my weak times, it will be ok, breath,

0 Kudos
lois2

i will quit

0 Kudos
jeanne7

Day 28 - Smoked for 40 years - using the patch, antidepressant and lollipops.

0 Kudos
brandi21

I would like to join this group, but don't technically qualify. I have smoked for 15 years, not 20... BUT at an alarming rate of 2 or more packs a day.  Would this be OK?

0 Kudos
lois2

i am getting for another quit, i am going to QUIT.

0 Kudos
gypsy6

Hello, I'm a smoker of 43 years and I'm ready to quit.  My quit date is set for Nov 16th, I'm currently taking zyban, and hopefully I will be able to quit much sooner.  Quitting smoking has been the toughest fight I've ever encountered.  I've quit before using the patch and zyban medications, I truly want to quit this time and to be able to stay stopped. smoking has been such a major part of my life and I just want/need to be free of this habit.  I've started making changes in my diet and the places I visit.  This web site is a great motivator.  together we will be able to quit and stay stopped.

0 Kudos
Patty44

I am 53 yrs old, female and married. Starting all over. My quit date is December 17th. I have my P&C, LAH & HMO license and work as Customer Service Rep for an insurance agency. Don't like where I work, love my family and my dog. Love yoga!

I only want to quit smoking because God may bless me one day with grandchildren and I don't want to be smoking, and I could use the money I spend on cigarettes for so many other things. The longest stretch I have been a nonsmoker was about 3 years. I felt so good during that time.

Most of all, I want to become an ex-smoker because I don't want to depend on those cigarettes any longer.

Patty
0 Kudos
jojo29

well,i smoked for 40 yrs im 53 yrs old,and i smokes 2-3 pks a day,ciggarettes were my life,couldnt leave home without them drive or sleep if i had none. my quit day qas nov 1st,monday,iam 4 full days clean and smoke free 🙂 goin to make 5. one day at a time is the way to go.good luck guys.

0 Kudos
barbara21

Hi, I'm not sure how long I've smoked, but I think it's 27 years with an actual four year quit from 2002-2006! Started smoking after a disastrous family Thanksgiving that year but not fully back to it until mid-2007. Then was back to a pack a day. Every so often I go on the patch, but have really lost hope with that method - I now use the patch when I travel for business, knowing I'm going to rip it off when I get off the plane. I had quit cold turkey once in the mid 90s for a few months - disastrous fight with my very difficult mother led to that relapse.

Something weird is that the time I quit for four years it was cold turkey and an absolute breeze - little to no withdrawl symptoms - I was just done. I'd read the Allan Carr book (twice) and it worked.

Now even that no longer works...usually when I try to quit cold turkey I'm fine until around 5 p.m., at which time I feel like a complete maniac. (and the poor people around me...)

I have to admit: I have no idea of how to quit smoking for good anymore...

0 Kudos